Clear all

Massachusetts - The Bee Gees

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Time to add another to the database. This classic Bee Gees song from the mid 60's uses reallly easy chord progressions and is nice and slow. Good for beginners.

I'm always reminded by this song of Kenny Everett's impression of this (Zany DJ/Comedian in UK, sadly no longer with us). He dressed up as each Gibb brother in a white suit with large false teeth and did a play on the song's title "Mass Of Chew Sets". He did a brilliant job of Barry's falsetto while flashing the teeth, really funny at the time.

He could do a brilliant Rod Stewart too but thats another story. And it was "all in the best possible taste"

Anyway to the song:

The strum pattern I've added on the intro should work (I'm not very good at putting these on paper, sorry if its wrong)

Intro:

(G) ///// // /// ////// (Play twice) Strum Pattern: ddddd uu ddd ddduud

Verse 1:

[G]Feel I'm goin' [Am]back to [C]Massa[G]chusetts, [Am]/// [C]////

[G]Something's telling [Am]me I [C]must go [G]home.

And the (G)lights all went out in Massa[C]chusetts

The day I [G]left her [D7]standing on her [G]own. [Am]/// [D7]////

Verse 2:

[G]Tried to hitch a [Am]ride to [C]San Fran[G]cisco, [Am]/// [C]////

[G]Gotta do the [Am]things I [C]wanna [G]do.

They brought me [G]back to [D7]see my way with [G]you. [Am]/// [D7]////

Verse 3:

[G]Talk about the [Am]life in [C]Massa[G]chusetts, [Am]/// [C]////

[G]Speak about the [Am]people [C]I have [G]seen,

And Massa[G]chusetts is [D7]one place I have [G]seen. [Am]/// [D7]////

Outro:

I will re[Am]member [C]Massa[G]chusetts...

I will re[Am]member [C]Massa[G]chusetts... Fade out

Enjoy it everyone,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice one Chris - the Mrs Loves the Bee Gees, and this is about the only one of theirs I know to play really well...so I usually dig this out when I want her in a good mood....Three Steps To Heaven and Runaway are the other two that do the job, but nobody except me and her needs to know the sordid details behind their stories.... :oops:

:D :D :D

Vic

PS - dunno if you'll remember this, but Angus Deayton (Actor/Presenter) was in a band in the late 70's who did a great mickey-take of the Bee Gees - they called themselves the HeeBeeGeeBees, and had a minor hit with a song called "Meaningless Songs In Very High Voices"....they also "did" Status Quo, calling themselves "Status Quid" with a song that sounded suspiciously like "Down Down" but consisted of nothing but false endings.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Vic wrote:
Three Steps To Heaven and Runaway are the other two that do the job, but nobody except me and her needs to know the sordid details behind their stories....

Victor!!!!!
The mind boggles
Those song titles give far to many clues :shock: :wink: :shock:

Calm yourself Vic!!!!

Moving swiftly on to the Bee Gee's subject, yes, their songs always sound simple but when you find the chords & tabs for them they are not always as easy to play as you might think.

Peace Man,
Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote