"My And Julio"...Finally!

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey, it's me again... sorry I took a while ot get this one up; I had less time over christmas than I thought. tell me what you think; I believe this is one of the all time great three chord acoustic songs:

Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard
By Paul Simon; from the album "Paul Simon", 1972

I lie. it is not a three chord song. played absolutely properly it uses five: A, D, E, G, and B. but the B is amost completely nonessential and you can get along wihtout the G. instructions for using them appear at the end of the lesson; I'll leave it up to the people on this forum if we shoudl post it as a 4-5 chord song or as a 3 shord song with some advanced alternatives listed inside. I thought the latter was good because it encourages them to learn to play it and then learn how to add stuff

don't let anone tell you to play this with G, C, and D! you can, if you really want to, but it's not the right key! or they'll tell you to use a Capo, but you don't have to!! Paul simon does it this way:

Intro: A D A E A D A E

play 2-3 times

[A]Mama Pajama rolled out of bed
and she ran to the police sta[D]tion
When the [E]papa found out he began to shout
and he started the [A]investigation

[REST]But it's against the [E]law, it was against the [A]law
What the mama [E]saw, was against the [A]law

Hoo! the [A]mama looks down and she spit on the ground
Every time my name gets men[D]tioned
And the [E]papa says "Oy, when I get that boy
I'm gonna stick him in the house of de[A]tention!"

CHORUS:
[REST]And I'm on my [D]way, I don't know [A]where I'm going
I'm on my [D]way, takin' my [A]time but I don't know [E]where
Goodbye to Ro[D]sie, Queen of [A]Corona
A G D E A D A E
See [A]me and [D]Julio [A]down by the [E]school[A]yard[D][A][E]
See [A]me and [D]Julio [A]down by the [E]school[A]yard[D][A][E]

Whistling solo: D |D |A |A |D |D |A |E |D |D
A |A |A D |A E |A D A E |A D A D A E ---strumm out E chord

PALM MUTE
FULL REST

Woah!

In a [A]couple of days they come and take me away
But the press let the story [D]leak
And when the [E]radical priest come and get me released
We's all on the cover of [A]Newsweek.

CHORUS

OUTRO: A D A E A D A E
Repeat and Fade

If you prefer not to fade without the aid of a soundboard, play this till it gets old and end on an A chord. it's a good place for improvisation

STRUMMING PATTERNS:

these are what makes this song different from every other "ADE" song you'll learn. there are two basic patterns:

1. This is the important pattern to learn. If you chose to vary the second pattern no one will notice, but this one is instantly recognizable as "me and Julio".

[A] [D] [E] [A]
1e+ 2e+ a e a 4e+(rest)

simple as that. learn to play this correctlly and that's all you need; this pattern is what defins the song.

I'd suggest using the following combination of strokes:

[A] [D] [E] [A]
1 e + 2 e + a e a 4 e + (rest)
d u d d u d d d u d u d

you use this pattern in the introduction and the outro; that's where it's most importat. it's also heard at the end of the chorus:

See [a]me and [d]Julio [a]down by the [e]school[A]yard[D][A][E]

starting from the "A" in "school yard"

Strumming Pattern 2:

1 e + a 2 a e a 4 +

this may look familiar... it's a lot like the first pattern (the "a e a 4" should look the same. the the important difference is in the strumming: instead of dowqnstrokes, I use upstrokes to accent the " a e a 4 +" part and make it more staccato: like so:

1 e + a 2 a e a 4 +
d u d u d u u u d d

this pattern is used throughout the verses and in the choruses too. it's about the same in during the whisteling solo, although you may find it difficult to whistle along to it, so I sometimes use slightly swung eighth notes.

VARIATIONS:
once you can play the basic version listed here; try adding some more comlex ideas:

The intro pattern can be played using a different inversion of the chords; this is what Simon does. (you actually use D6 at first)

A = |x07655|
D6= |xx7777|
E = |xxx454|

Hint: if the A-D chord change is hard you can play |xx7647| to play a sort of A/D chord that sounds ok; it's the 7 on the high e that counts

play these inversions twice following the first strumming pattern and then switch back to first position D, A, E

Whisteling solo:
you can add a B and G chord to the accompaniment to make it a little more diverse. This is closer ot what paul simon plays too:

D |D |A |A |D |D |A B|E |D |D
A |A |A G |D E | A D | A E |A G |D E | A D | A E |

If you can't play a B chord (it took me a long time to learn it) then leave it out and play an E.

wow, this one turned out pretty long too. please check the chords and everything, make sure I put them in right, I'm sure I missed a few. I'm open to any and all suggestions and you can feel free to take out anything you feel is unnecessary if you decide to put this in the database

"Those are my principles; if you don't like them, I have others."~ Groucho Marx

CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

don't they LIKE my post??  :-[ :( they liked my other ones... :( :(

lol... it's probably too long; I'll try to shorten it. but seriously, is there something wrong with it?

ReplyQuote
(@tabmow)
Eminent Member

CGW -> it's a great post!  I haven't had time to try it out though.
One thing i'm a bit puzzled at is the strumming pattern.
I'm used to seeing things like "1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +", and i seem to recall one of David's lessons (or someone else's columns) talking about thinking about it like "1 e + a 2 e" type thing, but i can't wrap my head around yours -> " 1e+ 2e+ a e a 4e+(rest)".  Can you point me to a column/lesson that explains it (in case i'm just forgetting) or can you explain it a bit?  Sorry about that.

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

Don't get down if there is a lack of response.  It's probably more due to my incompetence than yours.  (Or this guitar addiction I can't seem to shake).

I often have the best intentions of getting through some of the backlog, but then end up killing a couple of hours playing my guitar...

This weekend definitely.  I will definitely get through some of the stuff this weekend.

BTW, Paul Simon is definitely up my alley, but like tabmow, I just haven't had a chance to really take a look at it.  And I generally rely on others to vouch for the accuracy of tabs, since I am not very confident in my ability to hear it.

The Easy Song Database: http://www2.shore.net/~maryesme/bin/easy.cgi

Take part in its creation: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

ReplyQuote
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No Worries, Mark.  I can hardly complain that you're spending too much time on guitar!!!

yes, I LOVE Paul Simon, this song in particular. I didn't expect a glowing review or anything, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some inherant problem. Plus I wanted someone to check the plausability of the way I've simplified the chords.

as far as the strumming pattern goes, I never know how to post these. I read music pretty well but I never know if it's comprehensible to those  who don't. don't worry tabmow, I'm not accusing you of not being able to read music, I just mean in general

suggestions? what's a good format for rhythm explainations, Mark?

let's try it this way: say you're familliar with a standard eighth note pattern:

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

that's two strums per beat for 4 beats

make it 4 strums per beat and you get 16th notes; I count 'em like this:

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

the bold does not indicate emphasis, just the counts I added

from there, you can duplicate the first part of Paul's Rhythm by just putting a well placed rest...

1 e + (a) 2 e + a (3) e (+) a 4 e + (a)

if you take out the counts in parentheses you hsould have a pretty accurate approximaiton. but all this is probably not all that useful... most people lookign to play the song can do the rhythm by ear because they have heard it. I guess I just include it in case someone is interested in the music behind it or whatever.

thanks guys!

ReplyQuote
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ok, I just noticed that the chords aboev my strumming patterns are not lined up right... I will tinker with them but I haev a correct txt version; if you decide to use this it might just be easier for em to email it to you. let me know

ReplyQuote
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ok, the more I listen to this the less I am convinced that the two rhythm patterns are indeed different. the chord changes threw me off, but I think BOTH strumming patterns might be "1 e +  2 e + a   e a  4 e +"; the difference being the downstrokes vs upstrokes as I indicated initially.  can anyone help me out with this?

~CGW

ReplyQuote
 NPR
(@npr)

Hey man this is awesome.  I can't wait to get home today and try this out.  I am gonna have to track down a good recording of this song so I can hear it as well.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Could you explain the e an a in the strum pattern

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

That is how you count 16th notes.  So, your metronome is clicking away: "1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4" right?  Each number falls at the same time a quarter note would sound.  If you want to play eighth notes (half a quarter note), you need to play another note between the numbers, so to count this, you count with your metronome and say "and" between the numbers, like this: "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and ....". With this you would play a note with the occurence of each number and with the occurrence of each "and".
16th notes are half that again so you notes in between the numbers and the ands, so convention has you say "e" before the "and" and "a" after the "and", like this:
"1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a ...."
where you play a note on each number, "e", "and" and "a".  At that point you are playing 16th notes.

Clear as mud, huh?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, much appreciated

ReplyQuote
 CGW
(@cgw)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that, Mark. Also, if it matters, I've been telling the people who'ev emailed me that I'm beginning to think a few changes are in order from my origional file. although in some verisons of this song Paul plays a different strumming patternduring the verses, it is really ok just to use the same rhythm all the time, only varrying the chord changes. in addition, the groups of three fast strums that are indicated often soudn like only two or even only one becaus eof the way he half mutes with his left hand. so if you're having trouble with speed it can be played "1 e +   2 e  a  e  a 4 +" or even "1 + 2  + a e a 4 +"

Mark, I'd like to change at least this first thing, to simplify it, jsut take out my extraneaous explaination of the second strumming pattern. may I just modify my original post, or woudl you like me to repost it with all the correcitons?

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

Just edit the first post.  And keep your eyes open when I add it to the database.

ReplyQuote
(@markyesme)
Estimable Member

This is now up and I will remove this thread in a little while if there are no comments.

Mark :)

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

My former guitar instructor and I worked this out a few years ago with both guitar parts:

ME AND JULIO DOWN BY THE SCHOOLYARD – Paul Simon

Guitar One:

A =  [x07655]
B =  [xx9877]
D6= [xx7777] INTRO D
D =  [xx7775] VERSE D
E =  [xxx454]

Guitar Two: (Capo @ 2nd)

A = [x02220]
C = [x32010]
D = [xx0232]
F = [133211]
G = [320033]
G = [355433]   CHORUS G & last G
                                                                    in Pre Chorus too

INTRO:      Gtr.1 > 7x: A'' D6' A'' E'  
                                       Gtr.2 >                G'' C'  G'' D'
                                           (only plays 5th,6th & 7th time)

VERSE 1:

Guitar 1 > A
Guitar 2 > G
                                                               MAMA PAJAMA ROLLED OUT OF BED
Guitar 1 >                          D
Guitar 2 >                          C
                     AND SHE RAN TO THE POLICE STATION
Guitar 1 >                               E
Guitar 2 >                               D
             WHEN THE PAPA FOUND OUT HE BEGAN TO SHOUT
Guitar 1 >                                                                                                                                                                             A
Guitar 2 >                                                                                                                                                  G                      
AND THAT STARTED THE INVESTI-GATION

Got the whole two pages of it on a Microsoft Word
document if anyone wants it.

[email protected]

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2