Skip to content
New Index - UPDATED...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] New Index - UPDATED March 9th, 2009.

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There is now a new index for the Easy Song Database, with a few changes to categorisation:

1 - Bands with "The" in their name (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, etc).....disregard the word "the." So Beatles under B, Rolling Stones under R, Who under W, etc.

2 - Artists now grouped in alphabetical order of surname - so Johnny Cash will be found under C, John Lennon under L, John Fogerty under F, etc.

3 - Bands named after a member - Charlie Daniels Band, Dave Clark Five, Manfred Mann, etc....alphabetical order by first letter. So Charlie Daniels band under C, Dave Clark 5 under D, Manfred Mann under M, etc.

4 - There are now TWO indexes (indices?) as of March 9th, 2009 - A to Z by artist's name/surname, and a new index - A to Z by song title, so if you know the title of a song but not the name of the artist, it'll make it easier to find.

And a couple of requests from me....

If you post a new tab, could you please mention it in the "Submissions" thread?

AND

If you've got a request for a tab, could you please post it in the "Requests" thread?

Also, if you notice any glaring omissions from the index, could you please let me - or one of the other mods - know and it'll be rectified ASAP.

Thanks very much,

:D :D :D

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Thanks Vic. This will make it much easier to find stuff. I know this had to be a lot of work. I want you to know that I appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Thanks much Vic, it looks great.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic. This will make it much easier to find stuff. I know this had to be a lot of work. I want you to know that I appreciate it.

Thanks, but most of the work had been done already by Mike and Nick, and those volunteers who trawled through the pages to create the index. All I've done is tidy it up a bit....some artists were filed under their surnames and again under first names, eg. Eric Clapton was under "E" for Eric and "C" as Clapton, Eric. Now he's just in the one place, under C for Clapton, although songs he did with Cream will also be under C, but under the band name.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Nice!

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thank you very much Vic!

:D

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

8) Looking good! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Thanks very much Vic.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

1 - Bands with "The" in their name (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, etc).....disregard the word "the." So Beatles under B, Rolling Stones under R, Who under W, etc.

So where would the group The The be filed? :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

As we yell out here in the states, "YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!"

It's a good thing. Not as good as a pint, but good still.

:D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I'm going to test the indexing process with my reply.

The Sweet!

(one of my fav bands BTW...even it most of it was bubble gum..they had some killer tunes as well)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So where would the group The The be filed?

I just KNEW someone was going to ask that! In the unlikely event of them ever gaining an entry in here, they'd be under "T" - probably as The The. Most indices would have entries like, "Beatles, The" and "Who, The" - I decided in the interests of brevity to drop the word "The." Except in one instance....The Band. You'd never hear them referred to as "Band" would you!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What about the group, Carpenters. They did some stuff named "The Carpenters" and then some stuff "Carpenters", without the the in the title. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There are bound to be oddities that'll crop up - we'll just have to deal with 'em as and when they do. For instance.... Frank Zappa. Under Z for Zappa, or M for Mothers Of Invention? Or McCartney? Under M for McCartney, or W for Wings? Lennon? L for Lennon, or P for Plastic Ono Band?

Siiiiiigh........

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think it makes most sense to list a song under the name of the artist, that released it, so Wings would be Wings, not McCartney, Cream would be Cream, not Clapton.

That also solves the Carpenter's problem - whether under Carpenters or The Carpenters, they'll be in C.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2