Chords used –

E E6 Esus4 D1 D2 D? A Em Asus4 B7 B7
0 0 0 2 5 4 0 0 0 2 5
0 2 0 3 3 3 2 0 3 4 4
1 1 2 2 2 2 2 0 2 2 4
2 2 2 0 0 0 2 2 2 4 4
2 2 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 2
0 0 0 x x x 0 0 0 2 2

D1 and D2 are simply different voicings of D – I have labelled them this way in order to differentiate between them for reasons which will become clear shortly. Either voicing of B7 can be used – I prefer the second, I find it easier, but it isn't important. As for the D? chord, I can't work out what it is called so posted a question on Guitar Players Discussion forum – so far some better brains than mine have failed to come up with a final resolution but it comes between the two different voicings of the D chord so I've called it D? for now – don't suppose it matters what you call it as long as you can play it……………

Melody for intro and verses – (chords underneath)

I once had a girl, or should I say,
E--------------------------2--5--------4---0--
B--0-2----0-----------------------------------
G---------------2----1------------------------
E E6 E Esus4 E D1 D2 E D?

she once had me,
E------5-------------
B-3----------2---0---
D1 D2 A E

This is A) to give you an idea of the timing and B) to show you that all the notes you need for the melody are incorporated into the chords, so you have, in effect, a built-in melody line!!!!

The chorus is much simpler so I won't tab the melody for that; let's get on with it!!!

Norwegian Wood – The Beatles (Lennon/McCartney)

Intro – played as above………………

E/E6/E/Esus4/E/D1/D2/D?/E/D1/D2/A/E

First Verse -

(E)I (E6)once (E)had (Esus4)a (E)girl,
(D1)or (D2)should (D?)I (E)say, (D1)she (D2)once (A)had (E)me,
(E)She (E6)showed (E)me (Esus4)her (E)room,
(D1)is- (D2)n't (D?)it (E)good, (D1)Nor- (D2)we- (A)gian (E)wood,

First Chorus –

(E)She (Em)asked me to stay
(Esus4)And she told (Em)me to sit
(Esus4)an-(Em)y- (A)where, /Asus4/A/Asus4
So (Em)I looked around (Esus4)and I no- (Em)ticed there was-(Esus4)n't (Em)a (A)chair,/B7

Second verse – chords same as first

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine,
We talked until two, and then she said, it's time for bed……

Instrumental Passage – repeat intro

Second chorus - chords same as first

She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh,
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath

Third Verse – chords as verses 1 & 2

And when I awoke, I was alone, this bird had flown,
So I lit a fire, isn't it good, Norwegian Wood…………

Play intro again.

I have had to do this completely off the top of my head as I haven't got a copy of Norwegian Wood to hand on CD and I can't remember what key the original is in – think it was D but couldn't swear to it……………

Anyway that's the way I play it in the pub………!

Have fun – believe me, it really is easy when you get the hang of it.
Tabbing it, on the other hand…………………………

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow Vic

Nice tab. How are you writing this? It's great.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Did it on Microsoft word - Normal, New Courier,size 10 - opened a new topic, Typed in subject, and clicked on "code" on the list above the panel then copied & pasted message..........

tried it twice now and both times I've had a lot less editing to do!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Chords used –
E E6 Esus4 D1 D2 D? A Em Asus4 B7 B7
0 0 0 2 5 4 0 0 0 2 5
0 2 0 3 3 3 2 0 3 4 4
1 1 2 2 2 2 2 0 2 2 4
2 2 2 0 0 0 2 2 2 4 4
2 2 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 2
0 0 0 x x x 0 0 0 2 2

Vic, played this last ngiht? Or, tried anyway but I got the melody down anyway. How do you finger the 2'nd B7? Crazy! BARR with 2 fingers then use the little finger on 6'th string 5'th fret?

I might have used a curse word or 2 (more like 7) when I tried to do this!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm...I suppose it helps to have big hands, but yes, the way I play it is a full barre at the 2nd fret, mini-barre with 3rd finger at the fourth, and pinkie on top E string at the 5th...it's not really that important, though, you could play it whichever way you're most comfortable with..

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Vic I would love to hear you put a little clip of this song on the boards, just to here your version at the correct speed.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'd post a clip if I could....my camera takes video clips, but need to find a web-site with free video hosting....have video clips from the Fallout Lounge last monday, played "Proud Mary" (that's on here (Easy Song Database) somewhere!) "You've got to hide your love away" (I posted that here a couple of weeks or so ago!) and one of my own songs....although it wasn't the best I've ever played, soooooooooo nervous....I managed to get through.....

But if anyone could recommend a site where I can upload video clips, I would be very grateful.....might even send you a "Beatles/Cavern Club" plec , next time I go to Liverpool I'll pick (hah!!!) up a few....

(Got to send one of those to Greybeard....!!!! He has more plectra than I have guitars, strings, tuners etc put together....but he doesn't have one of those!!!!)

:D :D :D

Vic

PS there's another tab for Norwegian Wood in here some where...think it was one of Mattguitar's....you might find that a bit easier....

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Yes Vic I have tried Mattguitar's version, and I almost have it down. Just wanted to try yours, since it's a little different. Both are great. Thanks

ReplyQuote