Clear all

Redemption Song - Solo Fingerstyle arrangement

18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm... see, I always thought a Ghost note wasn't played at all... like a "tied" note, or "rung out" note.

I have always played bracketed notes that way... payed special attention to let that note ring out/die out for that duration.

David, Noteboat, anyway care to voice in?

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

My thought is it would be called a tied note if it were a tied note. I've got some books where you have notes in parentheses on the very first note so it wouldn't make sense to not play it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

This comes from the guitarnoise main site, pretty much says what I said.

But (now that I'm at a computer and not my phone LOL) I can explain better what I mean and think. Parentheses can be used in various instances, but you have to look at standard notation to see what it really means. It could either mean that the note is tied to a previous note (if it's tied then there should be a line connecting the two...even in tab), or it means that it could be de-emphasized, this is just another instance where in my opinion being able to read music is a must. Because in standard notation the music is in parentheses as well.

When you pre-bend to me that means you are still plucking the note the parentheses are just telling you where the bended pitch would start, or when bending you are plucking the starting note and bending to that pitch so that would seem that the resolved pitch would be the "ghost note".

https://www.guitarnoise.com/help/guitar-technique/#9

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2