Notifications
Clear all

Request - Gilmore Girls

31 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Blasphemy..who dare denounce Seinfeld....I absolutely positively love that show. I have watched every episode probably a thousand times and I still laugh at every joke. It's to funny....best sit-com ever in my opinion...but it's just like the poles about who's the best player or who's the best band...there is no best because best to you might be crap to someone else...

As for Gilmore girls..I'd have to say for the most part it's pretty lame although I used to watch because it would come on after Seinfeld and I was to lazy to change the channel but even my daughters can't stand it.

Where's Taso when I need him...Cosmo you out there!!

Dino dude, man you made me spit up my Reed's Extra Ginger Brew all over my monitor!. Best sit com ever? You better call the doctor and have him check on your funny bone cause I'm pretty sure you were abducted by aliens and they removed it for you. :shock:
But seriously, I can dig it. You like it, some like this, some like that and it's all good. Are they even making that show anymore?

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

No Seinfeld ended (thank god) with an episode that is universally accepted to suck in a major way I might add :) Crossing fingers for Gilmore Girls.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

u like the gilmores but not seinfeld... i must say i deeply disturbed by that haha

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

What - someone having a go at Seinfeld and not a Taso in sight to defend?

Got to tell you guys, it never really took off this side of the pond....although it got good critical reviews, the viewing audience seemed pretty underwhelmed....

As for the Gilmore Girls, it's on in the early AM, weekends, on the Hallmark Channel - along with (pass the vom bucket!) diagnosis murder, American Dreams (not sure about that, the music's pretty good...but....) Monk - how can one channel show so much garbage yet still be home to the excellent Law & Order and the slightly bizarre Picket Fences?

I think Seinfeld was an example of American humour missing an English audience....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

well there is also tons of your zany British humor no one in the US get... i think a show like Who's line is it anyways is a good example of that i couldnt stand that show but from what i can gather it was at hit in the uk..............oh ya and Seinfeld is far and way the best sitcom ever unlike most sitcoms that are totally cheesey and predictable

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Both Law and Order (especially the vanilla version) and Whose Line is it Anyway are my favorites. You really have to appreciate the fact that whose line is 100% improv to enjoy it. I think it's hilarious. I've enjoyed British humor at times too. When I was a kid we used watch Yes Prime Minister and the Benny Hill Show. Both great.

Somebody mentioned M.A.S.H. ALthough I've never found anybody around to share my taste in that, I still quite liked it. Well. I even like Fraiser, so I'm probably not the person most qualified to talk about comedy series. :)

To stay on topic, here are the chords for some song, G C F. :P

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

All I can say is, who the heck are the Gilmore Girls? Apparently, I live in a cave.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

All I can say is, who the heck are the Gilmore Girls? Apparently, I live in a cave.

Cave-Cincinnati. Humm. Could be a connection there. :roll:
WB- Tuesday. 8 p.m. Some say chick show, others say comedy in the style of 'His Girl Friday' - a quick, literate and quirky show. Been on for five, going on six seasons. An acquired taste.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

dont u try to suck in more people into ur cult u bad bad man...haha

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

For what it's worth Rory Gilmore is a role model of sorts to my 11 year old daughter who, like Rory, is bitten with the reading bug. She is never without a book. Despite having two librarians for parents, she cites Rory as having inspired her passion for reading.

In my own case despite also having parents who read voraciously, it was a 7th grade social studies teacher who sparked my love of reading.

And while I can't say that TV is good for much, I'll accept here that it has had a positive influence on my kid.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

For what it's worth Rory Gilmore is a role model of sorts to my 11 year old daughter who, like Rory, is bitten with the reading bug. She is never without a book. Despite having two librarians for parents, she cites Rory as having inspired her passion for reading.

In my own case despite also having parents who read voraciously, it was a 7th grade social studies teacher who sparked my love of reading.

And while I can't say that TV is good for much, I'll accept here that it has had a positive influence on my kid.

For some folks there is nothing as uncool as characters who are 'good examples' for others. Or the rare television series that is gentle and smart. This is one show that I don't have to worry whether it's age appropriate or not. Congratulations on having a daughter who reads like Rory and who sees her future in an educated life. And although you and your wife don't get much credit for it we know it comes from the parents. Heck, I remember explaining to my son a couple years ago why he wanted to be an engineer and he nodded and accepted my recommendations-but when we were at Florida State in an engineering orientation and he heard about the job prospects and pay scale he said that's when it 'clicked' for him. Oh well, without us they wouldn't get to where they can finally believe somebody else tell them what we try to teach them. And how's that bit of Gilmore music going? Personally I'm working on the quick chord changes in Sandman (America not Metallica)..A real bear for this 'slow hand' :)

ReplyQuote
(@kkillam)

This thread is HILARIOUS!!! My thirteen year old loves the Gilmore Girls. I have to admit that neither Lorelai or Rory is hard to look at - but I digress....

JSnood - if you find what you're looking for then please post - I'm sure my girl would love it if I learned it too...

Kelly,
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather to skid in sideways, guitar in one hand, a beer in the other, body thoroughly used up and shouting "WOO HOO what a ride !! "

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey if the GG has got a schoolkid into literature in a big way, then that's a good thing.....I started about age 11, when my Dad - who had a bookcase crammed to overflowing introduced me to Edgar Wallace, Agatha Christie, Leslie Charteris (The Saint), Conan Doyle etc etc....

I still love to read, I can read a Michener or Clancy novel in about 6 hours....

Never did get into Shakespeare though!!!!

The US series most watched over here are/were.....

MASH
Cheers (and the Frazier spin - off)
Dallas & Dynasty in the 80's
Friends
ER
St Elsewhere

Currently....

Law and Order
CSI
24 - pulls in a huge audience, series 5 starts Sunday
Stargate SG1
Charmed
House
Desperate Housewives

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

I can see why the various programs from the US you described are popular. Now House is one of my favorites. Hugh Laurie being a Brit himself it was funny the episode he answered the phone with a 'british' accent and his friend commented on how fake his accent was. We get Jeeves and Wooster here (Hugh Laurie as comedic foil) on PBS which is a nice slow speed of comedy. I have a British friend who recommended Little Britian which I've seen (you can see anything if you know how to surf newsgroups) and that was pretty low brow stuff. NO BBC America on my cable unfortunately. Heck, I even try to pay a bit of attention to Eurovision, I think that's what it is. The music contest sort of like American Idol meets World Cup. Is that the general state of European music?

I can see being able to read Clancy in six hours nut Michener?

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

JSnood - if you find what you're looking for then please post - I'm sure my girl would love it if I learned it too...
Will do, if and when.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3