Skip to content
simple version HOTE...

Notifications
Clear all

simple version HOTEL CALIFORNIA (Eagles)

71 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

It's me again,

Hey Matt I just had to have another go, just put the six string down. Got the intro just right and straight through to the finish. it's just great!

Chris.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

Great Post Matt,

I have decent intro which may fit. This will also fit towards the end of the song to. Instead of the downstroke on each verse chords, Am, E, G, D, F, C, Dm, E. just pick the treble strings quickly from the high E upwards to the G string. Example; chord an Am then pick the 1st, 2nd & 3rd string quickly for four sets". Next , form an E chord then pick the 1st, 2nd & 3rd string quickly for two sets" followed by picking the High E string. then give yourself a three count before you change chords and repeat until you finish with you E chord.

Cord = =Am---------------------------------------E
String=-1--2--3, -1--2--3, -1--2--3, -1--2--3, -1--2--3, -1--2--3, 1
Melody=dadada, dadada, dadada, dadada, dadada, dadada, ting" 123

Cord = =G----------------------------------------D
String=-1--2--3, -1--2--3, -1--2--3, -1--2--3, -1--2--3, -1--2--3, 1
Melody=dadada, dadada, dadada, dadada, dadada, dadada, ting" 123

Tell Me What You Think,

Jim 8)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Jim

Spot on mate - what you are doing is EXACTLY what i was trying to explain, less the initial downstrum. But i like your da da da description a lot - you have captured what i was trying to get at.

Ting! ha ha.

I am glad this song has generated so much interest by the way, and Chris I am glad you got through it. Getting to the end of ANY song always makes me feel like i have achieved something!

Thanks again for your comments. Never thought this one would stir up so much interest!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

Matt, thanks for the ataboy :oops: in your last post. I think its great that so many share their ideas and styles. It really helps us newbies. Whats next?

For The Forum, What different types of strumming pattern and or riffs does everyone use for this song? (don't be shy) I would like to change mine up a bit to make it more interesting.

Jim 8)

ReplyQuote
(@dr-alex)

I still think we should be able to come up with an easy Hotel California solo (electric guitar part at the end of the song). I've tried to learn it from original tab but it gets messy. Shouldn't there be an easy way (call it "Hotel Cal solo for dummies").

By the way, talking of easy solos, the solo in Kalifornication is fairly easy and fun to learn on electric, then play with the original recording.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@jamir)
Honorable Member

I have to agree with the "barre chord nightmare" I have been playing for about 20 years and still will transpose a song to get out of playing barre chords with one exception, "Crash boom bang" by roxette, I especially got an electric guitar just so I could get to play it !!!!! so I much appreciate the "simple" Hotel California" which is an absolute must if playing out in the middle east, it is like their unofficial national anthem

Thanks a ton Matt
Ja'mir,

I am a cloud within a cloud http://www.justjamir.com

you can hear my songs at :

http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=21709

ReplyQuote
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member

is there a certain strumming pattern that's supposed to be used for this?

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

Try D DU UD Or i use D DU UDU Here is a good strumming pattern site, helped me. http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html
D DU UDUD DU UDU
(Am) On a dark desert highway

D DU UDUD DU UDU
(E) Cool wind in my hair -

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Jamir

I never thought my version of this would be played round the globe!

this site really is amazing isn't it. That's the truth.

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member

Jamir

I never thought my version of this would be played round the globe!

this site really is amazing isn't it. That's the truth.

Cheers

Matt

This site is awesome. I went from playing boring stuff out of Guitar for Dummies and trying to decipher tabs that didn't come with enough explanation, etc. To playing some actual freaking songs! Not to mention some great music theory and additional lessons. Great stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

oops, kept hitting submit instead of preview....

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Damn, did it again......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Third time lucky....

OK, let's go back to doing this without a capo and using barre chords ....just humour me eh? You CAN do this....

Intro....put that Bm chord on at the second fret....

E....2...2...2.....
B.....3...3...3......3
G......4...4.......
D..................
A..2..............0h2.
E..................

Now leave the barre in place, just move all the other fingers from an Am chord shape to an E chord shape so you've got F#m.....

E..2..2..2..
B...2..2..3.
G...........
D....4..4...
A...........
E.2.........

OK...here's we we leave the barre chords for a while.....
You can leave the first finger where it is on the low E string though, and play the next 3 notes as single notes....

(Low E string, moving to A string....as you hit the open A string, put an A chord on....

A.....0
E.2.4.

The reason you put the A chord on is because the open A string is the root of the A chord, which is where we're going now...the last note, the open A string, is the first note of this chord...ie play the F# note, the G# note then the A note above is the first note here....

E..0..0..0......0.
B...2..2..2....
G....2..2.......
D............0h2..
A.0.............
E...............

Another nice easy change now, from A to E....

E..0..0..0..
B...0..0....
G...........1.
D....2..2...
A...........
E.0.........

now we're going up to a G chord.so play the open E string, then play the E string at the 2nd fret with your 1st finger, then at the 3rd fret with your 2nd finger, at the same time making the full G chord....

E......3..3..3......
B.......0..0..0.....
G........0..0.......
D.....................0.
A................0h2..
E.0.2.3.............

here's the tricky bit....we're moving to a D chord, but....you need the bass note....so if you can drag that thumb round and put it on the 2nd fret of the low E string, all well and good....if you can't, play the open D string but it won't sound as good....the tab'll show it with the bass note as F# on the open E.....

E..2..2..2..2.
B...3..3..3...
G....2..2..2..
D.............
A.............
E.2...........

back down to a nice easy Em chord now, but when you put this on, do it as if you're playing a barre chord....DON'T use your 1st & 2nd fingers, use your 3rd and 4th....the reasoning behind this will become clear when we hit the next chord....

E..0..0..0......
B...0..0..0.....
G....0..0.......
D..................0.
A.............0h2..
E.0.............

Now we're going back up to F#, so leave that 3rd and 4th finger in place, slide 'em up 2 frets, throw that 1st finger across all the strings and put your second finger on the 3rd fret of the D string......

E..2..2..2.
B...2..2...
G..........
D....4..4..
A..........
E.2........

And now your fingers are in the right position to put the original Bm chord that you started with back on...all you have to do is move the E chord shape over a fret to an Am shape....

Amazing what you can do with a little forward planning, eh? This might not be absolutely spot on, but it always goes down well in the pub....!!! Hmmm, never realised this before, but it's actually got a built-in bass-line....anyway, play, enjoy, and any questions, feel free to post or PM me....

Vic.

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

I find it amazing that this thread has started this conversation. Why you ask?

Its a bit sentimental of me, but this song is the reason I learned to play barre chords!!! I had been playing for a few months, maybe about a year, and I really wanted to learn this song. But those dreaded Bm and F# chords. ARGH!! The rest is so easy, so I made a concerted effort to learn to play barre chords that actually sounded good. And now I can play the version given by Bull.

I'm glad to see others are in the same boat. My advice - put the effort into learning to play barre chords. Its completely worth it...

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

if you learn those barre chords, you've got over 20 frets to play about with....some mathematician somewhere can work out the permutations, it's waaaaaaaaaay beyond me.....

:) :) :)

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5