12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Talk about easy songs this one has got to be among the list of
top 10 easy's.
Lovely little intro, not difficult at all and simple open chords and only 4 of them

MY GIRL

G------------0--
D--------0-2----
A---0-2--------- Play this bit twice
E-3-------------

I've got(G)sunshine(C)on a cloudy(G)day (C)

When it's(G) cold outside,(C) I've got the month(G) of May (C)

(G)I(Am)guess(C)you(D)say,(G)what can (Am) make me (C)feel this(D)way?

(G)My girl, talking 'bout,(C) my girl (D7) (D7)

Play the other verses similarly

I've got so much honey, the bees envy me
I've got a sweeter song than the birds in the tree
I guess you say, what can make me feel this way?
My girl, talking 'bout, my girl

I don't need no money, fortune or fame
I've got all the riches, baby, one man can claim
I guess you say, what can make me feel this way?
My girl, talking 'bout, my girl

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day with my girl
I've even got the month of May with my girl
Talking 'bout my girl, my girl, my girl, woo! my girl
That's all I can talk about is my girl

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great song Rodders! BUUUUUUUUUUUUT - doesn't this change key somewhere? Haven't got a copy handy (and I may be thinking of the Temptations version!) ......

I'm pretty sure somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd verse there's an instrumental section (the one with all the "hey-hey-hey's!" in.....and the chords go something like

(G) (C) hey-hey (G)hey, (C)hey-hey (Am) (D) (Bm) (E).....

I don't (A)need no (D)money, fortune or (A)fame
I've got all the riches, baby, (D)one man can (A)claim
I (Bm)guess (D)you (E)say, (A)what can (Bm)make me (D)feel this (E)way?
(A)My girl, talking 'bout, (Bm)my girl(E)

I'll check it out in the AM....sure I've got a Temp's greatest hits somewhere!

Nearly forgot - another thing I've always played in this (I worked it out when my 19-y-o daughter was little, she loved the film with Macauly Culkin, Dan Aykroyd, etc) is on the last line of the verse, after "My girl" try changing from the major chord to the maj7th like so ....

(G)My girl, (Gmaj7) talking bout (Am)my girl, (D)......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You are probably right Vic, and yes it does sound good. I've just tried the Gmaj7 in the line and that also sounds very sweet.
Thanks for adding to this great little song :wink: Your input, as ever is invaluable :D and always looked forward to. :wink:

This posting started with me just fooling around on the Em pentatonic and I just stumbled into the opening riff.
From memory I'm pretty sure that the riff is repeated in the verse on the odd occasion.

Thanks again Vic. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Might just try this in the pub tuesday - just got to re-remember the lyrics?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

Wow! This brings back memories. This was one of the few songs I could attempt to play with the only three chords I knew during the first 30 years I owned a guitar! Of course I had trouble with the chord changes . . . and the little run . . . and the change of key . . . and I can hardly sing . . . and . . . oh, never mind . . . Thanks Rodders, I have more confidence to give it a go now.

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hey, Hey , Hey.

good one Rodders, and good intro:

Vic, thanks for the key step too

Just got back from Bleneim Palace with my girl (yeah I'm talking bout my girl Trish "50" yesterday) Why Bleheim? well we had gone down to cheer in her sister Sarah and hubby Sean who were doing the 20 mile sponsored Ribbon walk for breast cancer care. (Trish and I did it last year in the pouring rain) Trish wanted to do it this year too but hurt her foot so Sean stepped into the breach and did the walk for her. Thank you Sean

So I think this song would suit all the girls (and the guys) who braved the blistering heat today for this noble cause.

Thanks Rodders

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

yes, it does change key, we talked about it in our history of rock n roll class. (the coolest class of all time)

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

huh, they never did "History of R'n'R" when I was at school - then again, it was only about 8 years old when I started school......

Now THAT'S a dream job - lecturing on Rock'n'Roll for a living!

I can still dream can't I......!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Vic

When you become a rock and roll lecturer please let me know

I WANT TO ENROL

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@heyesie)
Trusted Member

Hope this works boys, last time I posted a tab it did not come out too good
Try this as an alternative.

this part played nice and easy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------4--7-------------------------------------------
------------4--7-------------------4--7---------------------------------------------------
-------4--7-------------------5--7---------------------------------------------------------
-5--7------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and this played rapidly
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------5-5-5-5---7-7-7-7-7----------------------------------------------------------------
-5-5--5-5---7-7-7-7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I say hope it works when I send it

chords are A D A D
A D A D
A Bm DE A Bm DE
A A D E

:)

Many are called but few are chosen.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Thanks rodders! You did an awesome job...

ReplyQuote
(@harleyy)

love it thanks!

ReplyQuote