Clear all

stairway to heaven

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

why is this an easy song? i can't seem to get past the first measure.

am i fingering this right? i'm assigning my index finger to partial barre the fifth fret, my middle finger for the sixth fret, my ring finger for the seventh fret and my pinky for the eighth fret.

the problem is that my index finger has to be flat to get the notes to ring out which in itself is no problem at all. i can play barre chords. but when my middle finger is rounded and fretting the sixth fret i lose the sound on all the fifth fret notes. in other words, i can't keep my index finger flat on the fifth fret and my middle finger rounded and fretting the sixth fret. (if i'm not rounded and playing on the tip of my middle finger then it hits and mutes the third string.)

how does anyone else play this song?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

i can play barre chords. but when my middle finger is rounded and fretting the sixth fret i lose the sound on all the fifth fret notes.

That suggests to me that your hand position isn't right. Make sure you have the neck angled up (peghead near your shoulder) and your elbow out from your side. The neck itself might be too close to your fretting hand shoulder as well.

You should be able to find a position where the barred notes aren't dead. Get the position right on the Am chord and you'll find the problem has disappeared for all the others.

You've got the fingering right... but I don't consider this a beginner song - it's probably early intermediate.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@amnesia)
Trusted Member

This is not a beginner song.

With a song that you want to learn, You can't look at the tablature/sheet music and think "these chords/notes look easy". You have to listen to the song first... and feel what the performer feels. You need to understand what the piece of music is trying to draw to the listener...

It's okay just being able to play note after note, but if you don't understand the song, you'll never perform it.

Start with something you like the sound of, that you can relate to, but that isn't too hard.

Knocking on Heaven's door is an easy song (chords) to learn.
If you want something a little more along the fingerpicking line I would suggest Signe by Eric Clapton.

//--Amnesia--

Gutiars: Sheraton II | Yamaha APX-7A | Taylor 510CE-LTD
Equipment: Hiwatt 40 Amp | Switch Pedal | Zoom 200 FX Pedal
Piano: Roland 236

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well i'll definately be making a contribution ot this site soon! you just saved me, like, $40 on a lesson to figure that out!.

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

No Stairway!

Get it? Regardless, this is one of my favorite songs to play, especially if I'm just picking while watching TV or something. When I'm amped up I can rock the solo decent I think, except for the part where Page plays the same little riff 17 times in a row. I'm almost to the point where I can fake it though...

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

i can play barre chords. but when my middle finger is rounded and fretting the sixth fret i lose the sound on all the fifth fret notes.

That suggests to me that your hand position isn't right. Make sure you have the neck angled up (peghead near your shoulder) and your elbow out from your side. The neck itself might be too close to your fretting hand shoulder as well.

You should be able to find a position where the barred notes aren't dead. Get the position right on the Am chord and you'll find the problem has disappeared for all the others.

Hey that bit of advice even helped me too. Sometimes I have problems and sometimes I don't. Maybe that's what I'm doing too. thanks

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think I got it. 90% of the time anyway. thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@esrona)
Eminent Member

dead notes under the barre finger are often because you use only thumb pressure to get the barre finger down as sson as you put down an other finger pressure gets less under the barre finger and dead notes occur, try to use your arm weight ( a heavey arm) to keep the barre down.
pratice this slowy keep the feel of the heavey arm and s l o w l y bring other fingers to the neck.
This should work, did for me anyway ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

damn. now if i could just get the slide down to the second fret on time....

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Try checking your thumb position also. Don't wrap it, place in on the back of the neck.

ReplyQuote
(@maestro04)
Trusted Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TMQQOxIZNQ4

Prepare to throw away your guitar. Then watch his solo.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Don't you just love the look on his face!!!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to turn back the clock and learn from an early age like him.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i see someone resurrected this thread. as an update i can more or less play the part that was giving me trouble earlier in the year. now i just have to learn the rest!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

I'm not even going to try,

The Kid Rules O.K.!

He is just brilliant!

Chris :cry: :cry: :cry:

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@faceofimpurity)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TMQQOxIZNQ4

Prepare to throw away your guitar. Then watch his solo.

wow :shock:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2