Clear all

Stand by me very easy

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mimielam)
Topic starter  

Hello,

The first struming song I learnt was Stand by me. Only thing is that after a while I find that just struming is a bit bowring and I woulk like to know how to play this hading base line and arpégio has seen in Davide Hodge's lesseon Sittin on the dock of the bay.

I play this song usign the

G G Em Em C D patterns

Thanks for the help if you can
Mimie

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Not sure about the original (Ben E King) version, but Lennon's version is in A (A, F#m, D & E)....but you can always stick a capo on the 2nd fret and play the chords you're familiar with.....

If you're ever bored with "just strumming" find the song you're working on on a CD and try strumming along with it....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Ben E King did it in G, with the chords you show.

I do something like this:

-------3---------------3--------------0------------
---0*-------------0*-------------0*----------------
---0*---0---0-----0*-----0-------0*------0---0-----
---0*-----0-------0*-------------0*--------0-------
---2*-------------2*-------------------------------
-3--------------3----------3-2-0-----------------0-

*= quasi arpi (slow, harplike strum)

etc. - pretty simple pattern. You get the feel for the descending bass.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hey this did for it me Mimie!

I heard John Lennon singing it in my head, looked at your chords and the strum pattern came in litterally five seconds.

I've looked for this on various tab/chord sites and they always seem to complicate it with hard chord patterns before you even get going.

Many thanks

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member

Hey Noteboat,

Is that how you play the whole song? I'm curious to learn your version.

Thanks,

Lunarist

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've never bothered writing it out - if I get time this week, I'll record it. I use a fairly simple rhythm, and a pretty easy lead solo - it's a good tune to stretch out during a last set.

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member

Thanks NoteBoat,

I would appreciate it when you get the time.

Lunarist

ReplyQuote
(@mimielam)
Topic starter  

I'm going to try youre version. Thanks for the reply

Mimie

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Ok, so I'm a techno-idiot :)

I recorded two choruses this afternoon, burned it to CD and went to put it on my site for a link... and the dang audio file runs 15 MB. So until I get time to figure out a reasonable data compression for it, I'll just put up an accurate tab of what I do for the tune... all chords are quasi arpi; so is the double-stop on the D chord (play the notes with a little separation). The G note at the end is the first one of the repeat - I showed it for how the hammer/pull leads back to the start.

-----3-----------3-----------0-----------0-----------0-----------2-----------3----------
-------0---0-------0-----------0---0-------0-------1---1---1---3---3---3-------0--------
---0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----------0-----------2-----------0------------
---0-----0-----0-----------2-----------2-----------2-----2---0-------0-----0-----0h2p0--
---2-----------2-----------2-----2-----2-----0-2-3-------------------------2------------
-3-----------3-------3-2-0-----------0-----------------------------------3--------------(3)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Tom .... that looks an awfully complicated way to play a very simple song....looks like you've tabbed it for 12 string....ah, my code runneth over.....

You might find it easier, if using code for the ESD, to tab one phrase at a time....otherwise we have to save it to notepad, expand the page and it takes more working out than a geometry exam....and I haven't done one of those for over 30 years!!!!!!

I'll get back to you all on this one....but please try the "preview" button before you hit "submit"......

I also find it a lot easier to read chords for simple songs.....ie just strumming....if you use this format.....

(G) When the night is cold, (Em) and the land is dark,
And the (C)moon is the (D)only light we'll (G)see,

etc......

It's a lot easier to read.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bill_gates_jr)
Eminent Member

hello all
I am stuck in the beginer group being self taught but have craved the concept of walking into chords as Notebook has tabbed

I can fingerpick ( very slowly at this point) the tab without looking at the fret board

I would think this would sound very nice with two guitars , one fingerpicking Notebooks tab and a second guitar struming as per Vics written version
Keep up the generous offerings every body! All your efforts are appreciated
thanks again

The West Coast of Canada

pS
Notebook do you have an instructional website , if so I would lioke to have a browse
Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

Thanks noteboat found the version you printed to work very well and sure if people actually try this out instead of classing it as overcomplicated at first view (it does look strange) they will also find that after a couple of runs through it flows very natural with the song .
Look at it as a pattern idea and not as a "must replicate it exactly" and you will find your fingers almost doing this pattern as you sing.
I find my own version , one of my favourite party pieces , with these ideas added sounds much more interesting , just goes to show we can all still learn from basic tunes.

I also find it a lot easier to read chords for simple songs.....ie just strumming....if you use this format.....

(G) When the night is cold, (Em) and the land is dark,
And the (C)moon is the (D)only light we'll (G)see,

Then buy a 1000 songs for buskers book on ebay 20 songs on each page and they all sound the same :D :D

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@floydian_hammer)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-7--7-----4--6--7-7-----7--6--4-4----2-4-4-----4--2--0-0----0--4--2-2-----4--6--7-7----4--6--7-7----4--6--7-7-----7--6--4-4--

It's supposed to be played in Drop D, but it works in standard E.

Not strumming, but very simple, and the only way I can play it, I must add. :D

ReplyQuote