Skip to content
Sunny (original ver...

Notifications
Clear all

Sunny (original version + my own arrangement)

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@argus)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is a pretty famous standard, and it was recently reincarnated as some club song. That version is 1 1/2 steps (3 frets) higher than the original though.

Here's the original.

4/4

||: Am | C | F | E |
| Am | C | F | E |
| Am Am/G# | Am/G Am/F# | F | Fm |
| Bm | E | Am | E :||

Note the chords in bars 8 and 9. They are sometimes written as
| Am Am(maj7) | Am7 Am6 |

which are the same chords by a different name. I find it easier my way but some people don't. If you don't know those chords, just play a normal Am for those 2 bars.

Now, this part doesn't really belong in this forum, but it's the same song and it's here for anyone who wants a challenge.

I came up with my own arrangement a while ago that is a little different, but it still works. It uses a lot of jazzier chords though, so you might not want to bother with it.

||: Am7 | C9 | F | E9 |
| Am7 | C9 | F | E9 |
| Am Am/G# | Am7 Ab7 Gm7 C | Fmaj7 | Fm(maj7) |
| Bm7 | E7b9 | Am7 | Cm7 F9 Bm7 E7b9 :||

A few notes on this:
* In bar 9 (Am7 Ab7 Gm7 C) I play them on the first 4 8th notes of the bar. If you don't know what that means, they are struck along with the melody. I chose a C instead of an Am6 because (1) C is the note being sung, which is a chord tone of both chords but (2) I can change C to C7 easier (if desired) to lead into the Fmaj7 in the next bar (your hard earned secondary dominants at work)

* Where I've written E9 I play: E9 (2 beats), E7#9 E9 E7b9 E7
with the last 4 chords all played as 8ths in the last half of the bar

* In the last bar (the turnaround), I substituted all those chords from the E. They're all to be played as quarter notes.

* In bars 1 and 5, I normally play a Db9 on the last 8th of the bar to lead into the C9 in bar 2 (and 6). I also slide up to the Am7 from a G#m7 earlier on in the bar (strum on the 4th 8th note, up to the Am7 a 16th after that). Plus I hammer on/off a few notes in the 8th before that (5x555x -> 5x756x -> 5x555x) in a 16th note triplet. I'm not saying this because I think you'll play it, I'm saying it because I really like to show off.

* In bars 2 and 6, I do the sliding-up-from-a-semitone-below thing I did in the first bar. Same timing, but this time it's C9 B9->C9.

* In bars 3 and 7, I normally play the F as: F (3 beats) G (an 8th) F (an 8th)

* In bar 13 (Bm7), I do the same sliding-up-from-a-semitone-below thing I did in the first bar, coupled with the hammering on (same fingering as before, but 2 frets higher).

And there you go. If you can get through all that without barfing I'll give you a toffee apple.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'll have a go at this when I work out the E7b9 and the other 9th chords - no, don't tell me, I'll struggle to work them out myself, I do enjoy a challenge........

Do I get my toffee apple now or later please?

:D :D :D

Vic.

PS I don't know if it's the original or not, but the version I know (i.e. it was a hit in England......) was by Bobby Hebb, about 68 or so.......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Update..........

Still struggling........

A thought comes to mind, maybe you should tab this one out properly, show where you play the chords with a few hints on changes, post lyrics etc........I think this would make a good lesson.......

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've adjusted it a bit since yesterday. For instance, bars 4 and 8 sound much better as an E7 chord, and the F-G-F I put in bars 3 and 7 sounds completely terrible if you sing at the same time.

I'm not sure if it will make a good lesson since my version is just the original with jazzier chords and a few strange substitutions I pulled out of nowhere.

I have some other songs that are a bit hard for the "easy song database" that you might like though. Ever heard any Split Enz or Mental as Anything? I can do some Steely Dan as well, if anyone's interested, and I know a ton of Ween songs.

ReplyQuote