Because the past is just a good-bye

D G
Teach your children well,
D A
Their father's hell did slowly go by
D G
And feed them on your dreams
D A
The one they picks, the one you'll know by.

D G D
Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you will cry,
Bm G A
So just look at them and sigh
D G A D
and know they love you.

And you, of tender years,
Can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please help the with your youth,
They seek the truth before they can die.

Teach your parents well,
Their children's hell will slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The only one they picks, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you will cry
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

(@rr191)
Trusted Member

Great song. Thanks for posting. I have been trying to come up with a strum pattern for this sogn and I don't quite have it. How do you play it?

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@dignit)

I am just learning this from a 'free' lesson on JamPlay. The guy gives a very nice lesson using an alternating bass country strum and lots of walks. I don't use the Bass as much as he does right now but it is coming along. Seems like a very good teacher - I am very beginner so it must be if I can follow it, I just need to work on tempo.
So with these chords get the song in your head and start with the Bass/chord strum 4/4 and it will come. Here are some tips
f# walk to G and c b to A Holding the A chord then walk down to D as well. There is a part with Bm (only way to learn it is to use it!) and that adds to it but that is where I skip the walk for now. (He goes to the c on the a string first).
I Hope that makes sense because it's just a quick take and I know I usually need everything spelled out.
( if you are still interested and need more info.)
s

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Since someone resurrected the thread almost three years after it was started, I figured I could drag it out two years after that. :wink: "Teach Your Children" is a great song. I thought there had been a GN lesson on it, but apparently it was only mentioned in a couple of other lessons.

So I recently read a suggestion that if there were a number of acoustic guitarists playing it all at once, maybe one guitar should be tuned to Drop D to get the bass notes better. I know that's going to change the fingering of the chords played on that guitar. I also know I should figure out what the new chord shapes should be, but I'm not too good at music theory.

Suggestions?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If you have guitar players with capos you can also give them each a different area of the guitar to play on. Since the chords of the song in D are D, G, A, and Bm (the I, IV, V, and vi chords), then you can play the following:

Capo on 2nd fret:

C for D
F for G
G for A
Am for Bm

Capo on 5th fret:

A for D
D for G
E for A
F#m for Bm

Capo on 7th fret:

G for D
C for G
D for A
Em for Bm

If you go with these, plus your Drop D guitar (Double Drop D would work, too), then you've got five different guitar parts and it should sound very cool.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Oops, nothing like being ten days late for seeing the good advice . . . :oops:
But for once I had sense enough to check the thread before starting a whole new question about it. :wink:

Thank you, David. That looks a lot easier than some of the contortionist fingerings I found for G and Bm in Dropped D. Your capo-others suggestion is an excellent idea. (I was going to bring some tuners and some extra capos for anyone who doesn't have their own yet, to use until they can add at least a tuner to their gear bag. Speaking of gear bags, I think there was an article on GN about handy items to bring to jams and gigs. Gotta look that up.)
If you go with these, plus your Drop D guitar (Double Drop D would work, too), then you've got five different guitar parts and it should sound very cool.I'll bet it will. We might have to record that particular session. :)

Thanks again. 8)

ReplyQuote