Clear all

Three Steps to Heaven

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's been a while since any new tabs/chords were posted on here, but huge thanks to Rodders for posting his "Lightning Bolt" chords, I feel moved - inspired, even! - to get this forum up and running, and alive and kicking again. I had to think long and hard about playing this song again...it was always my Marilyn's favourite song, although she loved the Showaddywaddy version, and I preferred Eddie Cochran's original version. the version she preferred was played at her funeral, as she was cremated....but I prefer to remember the song as bringing a lot of good memories back. It was the first song I ever played for her...and it was always the first song she asked me to play whenever I picked up a guitar. So here's my tribute to Marilyn....I will always think of her whenever I play this song.

Intro...D, A and G chords. (they're the only chords you'll need, BTW, with a couple of tiny variations - a couple of 7th chords - for the whole song.)

Play the D chord like this....xx0323....

E |-----3-3-|
B |----2----|
G |---3-----|
D |0-0------|
A x
E x

Then two quick downstrums on the A and G chords...

E |-----3-3--0--3|
B |----2-----2--0|
G |---3------2--0|
D |0-0-------2--0|
A |x---------0--2|
E |x---------X--3|

Let's call that riff #1....

repeat that riff three times, then the vocals come in...and play the chords exactly as you play the D chord, pluck the bass note then rake the strings across the G and A chords....

(G) now (D) there are (G) three steps to (D)heaven, (play riff #1 again)
Just listen, and (G) you will plainly (A)see, (A then A7 played x02223)
That (D)as life travels (D7) on, (G) and things do go wrong,
Just (A) follow steps (G) one two and (D) three....then repeat riff#1.

Step (G) one, you (A)find a (G) girl to love (play riff #1 again)
(D7)Step (G) two.she (A) falls in (G) love with you (play riff #1 again)
Step (G) three, you (A) kiss and (G)hold her (D) tightly, (play riff #1 again)
And that (A) sure feels like (G) heaven, to me...(play riff #1 again, four times)

The rest of the song is plain sailing....the next verse has almost the same lyrics, just substitute "The formula for heaven is very simple" for the first line of the first verse" and you're away...same chords, same riff...now go and pick up that guitar and play!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@rodders)
Noble Member

Well, that looks like an easy one Vic. pretty straight forward.
Where would all the bands of the sixties been without the three chord trick?

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Indeed, Rod, and it's close relative the 4-chorder....G, Em C and D, in the key of your choice?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@sgomez8g)

Thanks! really appreciate it :)

ReplyQuote
 runo
(@runo)

Thanks your tab is an easiest one :)

ReplyQuote
(@valycarrolito)

It's been a while since any new tabs/chords were posted on here, but huge thanks to Rodders for posting his "Lightning Bolt" chords, I feel moved - inspired, even! - to get this forum up and running, and alive and kicking again. I had to think long and hard about playing this song again...it was always my Marilyn's favourite song, although she loved the Showaddywaddy version, and I preferred Eddie Cochran's original version. the version she preferred was played at her funeral, as she was cremated....but I prefer to remember the song as bringing a lot of good memories back. It was the first song I ever played for her...and it was always the first song she asked me to play whenever I picked up a guitar. So here's my tribute to Marilyn....I will always think of her whenever I play this song.

Intro...D, A and G chords. (they're the only chords you'll need, BTW, with a couple of tiny variations - a couple of 7th chords - for the whole song.)

Play the D chord like this....xx0323....

E |-----3-3-|
B |----2----|
G |---3-----|
D |0-0------|
A x
E x

Then two quick downstrums on the A and G chords...

E |-----3-3--0--3|
B |----2-----2--0|
G |---3------2--0|
D |0-0-------2--0|
A |x---------0--2|
E |x---------X--3|

Let's call that riff #1....

repeat that riff three times, then the vocals come in...and play the chords exactly as you play the D chord, pluck the bass note then rake the strings across the G and A chords....

(G) now (D) there are (G) three steps to (D)heaven, (play riff #1 again)
Just listen, and (G) you will plainly (A)see, (A then A7 played x02223)
That (D)as life travels (D7) on, (G) and things do go wrong,
Just (A) follow steps (G) one two and (D) three....then repeat riff#1.

Step (G) one, you (A)find a (G) girl to love (play riff #1 again)
(D7)Step (G) two.she (A) falls in (G) love with you (play riff #1 again)
Step (G) three, you (A) kiss and (G)hold her (D) tightly, (play riff #1 again)
And that (A) sure feels like (G) heaven, to me...(play riff #1 again, four times)

The rest of the song is plain sailing....the next verse has almost the same lyrics, just substitute "The formula for heaven is very simple" for the first line of the first verse" and you're away...same chords, same riff...now go and pick up that guitar and play!

Vic

Thanks your tab is an easiest one

ReplyQuote