Clear all

Ticket to Ride - Beatles

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I get up and play this song with a friend who's been playing a long time. He explains it this way, “When the Beatles played it their guitars were tuned ½ step down but they sped the record up. So put your CAPO on the second fret and play it in “G”. So, I practiced it this way then when it came time to play we played it without the CAPO. I think to make the vocals easier for him? Still can't figure this out? Anyway, it's in G, you will see most versions in A, so put your CAPO on the second fret to play with the recording. I do have the main riff, I don't have the other riff played after the second “Do right by me”. I'll figure that out someday.
Riff A
E |--------------------------------|
B |------3-------------------------|
G |---0----4--0--2-----------------|
D |--------------------------------|
A |--------------------------------|

For RIFF A I have my middle finger anchored on the B string 3'rd fret, then open G string , B (third Fret) , pinky G string 4'th fret, open G again, Index finger second fret G string. Nothing to it!
Also, their is another part that's hard to tab out so I'll try to explain it:
Em F u F u F u dd
She's got a ticket to ri..hi..ide.
For the F, use 3 easy upstokes (let them ring) then 2 quick downstrokes. I use what I call the easy F but it should be Fmaj7. So think this way on the F chord:
UP UP UP DOWN/DOWN
ri..hi..ide
For the sake of tabbing I note this as F (riff) There is a bunch of other little things I could throw in but it's for 2 guitars. This tab is intended for one. One last thing, at the end before you start the 5 “My baby don't care” you want to STOP playing and pause then start again with “My Baby don't care”
Chords:
G – 320001
Am - 002210
Em – 022000
D - xx0232
C - 032010
F - x03210 or x33210

Ticket To Ride:Beatles.
RIFF A x2
G
I think I'm gonna be sad.

I think it's today. Yeah.
Am D
The girl that's drivin' me mad is goin' away.
Em C
She's got a ticket to ride.
Em F (riff)
Em D G
She's got a ticket to ride, but she don't care.

G
She said that livin' with me was bringin' her down. Yeah.
Am D
She would never be free when I was around.
Em C
She's got a ticket to ride.
Em F (riff)
Em D G
She's got a ticket to ride, but she don't care.

CHORUS:
C
I don't know why she's ridin' so high.
D
She oughtta think twice, she oughtta do right by me.
C
Before she gets to sayin' goodbye,
D
She oughtta think twice, she oughtta do right by me.
(RIFF B – sorry don't have it yet)
REPEAT#1.
CHORUS:
(RIFF B – sorry don't have it yet)
REPEAT#2.
STOP and pause then:
G
My baby don't care.(x5)
RIFF A x3
G

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hi Clide....

I tabbed this out a couple of years ago, although the version I tabbed out is in the key of D - Lars, amongst others, pointed out that the original's in the key of A. Hey, what can I say - D suits my voice better!

But yes, they - and you - were and are right - the original's in A. Doing it in G and capoing at the 2nd fret's one way of getting around the Bm and F#m chords....definitely simplifies the song.

However, for those who insist on the "by the book" method....first, watch THIS video. Not a capo in sight, and the song's in A.

The intro riff is pretty simple......there are TWO easy ways to do it.

Either.......
E |---0--------0-|---0-------0-----|
B |-----2--------|-----2-----------|
G |-2-----2-4----|-2-----2-4-------|
D |--------------------------------|

OR...........
E |---0-------0--|---0-------0-----|
B |-----2---0----|-----2---0-------|
G |-2-----2------|-2-----2---------|
D |--------------|-----------------|
A |--------------|-----------------|
E |--------------|-----------------|

The second one's probably easier.....you can put the full A chord on ahead of the lyrics, whereas with the first one I tend to just put two fingers on the G and B strings, using my pinky for the note played on the fourth fret of the G string.
I don't have the other riff played after the second “Do right by me”.

That's not too hard, either.......
E |-----------------2-0---0--------|
B |-----------0-3-0-----3----------|
G |-2b4r2-1------------------------|
D |---------2----------------------|

I'd actually recommend trying it in A, sans capo - good practise for that horrible Bm chord. I still have trouble with it occasionally, especially if I have to barre it - 99 times out of 100, I'll play it as a half-barre, with my thumb over the E and A strings.

For two guitars, it might work nicely if one's in A and the other's in G, capoed at the second - the different voicings will add depth to the song. Talking of which....for the single guitarist, playing the intro riff, you could always simultaneously pluck the A string along with the first note of each section like this.....
E |---0--------0-|---0-------0-----|
B |-----2--------|-----2-----------|
G |-2-----2-4----|-2-----2-4-------|
A |-0------------|-0---------------|

or like this......
E |---0-------0--|---0-------0-----|
B |-----2---0----|-----2---0-------|
G |-2-----2------|-2-----2---------|
A |-0------------|-0---------------|

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Clide....

I tabbed this out a couple of years ago, although the version I tabbed out is in the key of D - Lars, amongst others, pointed out that the original's in the key of A. Hey, what can I say - D suits my voice better!
Vic

Yea - I saw that and I wasn't going to post this but... what the heck, just another version. I also have another version of "Norweigan Wood" but i believe you were the one that tabbed it out in the Key of "E", which is, probably the best way to play it and one the better tabs I've seen! So, I'll skip this one!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yea - I saw that and I wasn't going to post this but... what the heck, just another version. I also have another version of "Norweigan Wood" but i believe you were the one that tabbed it out in the Key of "E", which is, probably the best way to play it and one the better tabs I've seen! So, I'll skip this one!

That version of Norwegian Wood was my attempt at trying to incorporate the melody whilst playing chords.....I still play it, but it's always sounded a bit dodgy to me. Going back a couple of years ago, when I use to take my acoustic out to the pub once a week for a jam session, the guys there used to play it totally differently - someone'd shout out "Norwegian Wood" and everyone would put a capo on at the third fret. Never quite managed to get the hang of it that way, but it did sound pretty good.

If you've got a better tab, Bob, I'm all ears......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Clide....

Vic

Vic,
here i was, sitting in the bar section in "The Hard Days Night Hotel" in Liverpool - note - I'm not one of those rich americans - my sisters and girlfriend paid for my stay there! Anyway, I'm sitting there... they have a guy playing low (not too loud) ... if you know what I mean...

Sone of gun.... he's playing "ticket to ride" in "G" - with no capo? When he was done I asked - "do you play that in 'G'" - he says yes.

He probably had his guitar tuned down 1/2 step...

Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Oh, when I was in Scotland and they had to explain what the "skitters" were - I kept calling it the "skittles" - a good time was had by all - or - that's what I'm supposed to say... do you know Mike Herbert?

Hello to all of you in
Bellshill
Lanarkshire, Scotland UK
ML41AE
United Kingdom

"I'LL BE BACK"

Next time I want real coffee - not that damn instant stuff!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote