Clear all

Uriah Heep's Rain: a beautiful ballad!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a bit of obsession with Uriah Heep's numbers and so I'll show you another beautiful ballad taken from their masterpiece “Magician's birthday” album (1972). The song is mainly played on piano so this is an arrangemnt for guitar which could be played alongiside the cd. The song itself is mainly based on four chords (C, G, F, Am), plus there's a few barre chords in the last part of the chorus (Eb, Bb, Bm7) which i still have not completely mastered yet but in any case if you've been playing guitar for a fe wmonths you should be able to play the bulk of the song. Another thing where there is a Gsus4 you could also play a regular G since there is not so much difference. Regarding the changes, in the verses the chords usually change every measure (every four beats if you play with metronome), except for the lines where you find five chords instead of four. In these cases the fourth measure is split between two chords (i.e. in the second line of verse 1 you have to playAm for two beats and G for two beats). In the chorus chords change every line is made of two measures, so they change every measure in the lines with two chords, every two measures where there is only a chord (i.e. in the second line of the chorus you have to play G for eight beats) or in the last line the second measure is split between two chords.

Regarding the strummin you could use both

d/du/u/du

1: D
2: du
3: u
4: du

or d/du/u/d

1: D
2: du
3: u
4: d

The only tricky part is where there is a chord change half measure: actually given the fact you're playing a syncopated pattern you have to anticipate the chord change on the “and” of beat 2. Let's make an example with second line of the verse:

C G F Am G
but the way that I'm feeling's becoming usual

play C, G and F four beats each now the fourth measure is split between Am and G. You have to play Am for two downstrums only (the Dd of the pattern) and G for the uudu part of the pattern. So

1: play D on Am
2: play d on Am and u on G
3: play u on G
4: play du on G

It is quite difficult at the beginning but if you master the pattern you should be able to do it. You could check some “anticipation” examples in Nirvana's “Polly” (the change between D and C in the verse) or in “Hey Joe” or in several Ac/Dc tunes.

Ok here it is the song and as always let me know any mistakes.

Matteo

VERSE 1
C G F Am
It's raining outside, but that's not unusual
C G F Am G
but the way that I'm feeling's becoming usual
F G
I guess you could say
C Am
the clouds are moving away...
G Gsus G F7 C
away from your days, and into mine

[short piano solo over chords: C Bb Ab C]

VERSE 2
C F G Am
Now it's raining inside and that's a shame
C F G Am G
and it's getting to me...a happy man
F G C Am
Why would would want to waste all my time?
G Gsus G F7 C
The world is yours, but I am mine

CHORUS
C F
Rain, rain, rain
G
in my tears
C F
measuring carefully
G
my years
C F
shame, shame, shame
G Bm7
in my mind
Eb Bb C
see what you've done to my life

(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

I really like these songs you are posting, matteo. Also the fact that you explain them too. :)

Keep 'em coming :D :!:

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks mate for your kind words

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yesterday I played it after a while and I just wish to add that where there is a chord change half measure, you could play D du for each chord

so take a line as example

C (d/du/udu) F (d/du/udu) G (d/du/udu) Am d/du) G (d/du)
and it's getting to me...a happy man

Matteo

ReplyQuote