Topic starter  

Classic Rock- While My Guitar Gently Weeps- Beatles

This is a beautiful song. They say Eric Clapton secretly played
the lead guitar.

Is this an EASY song? Well, it has a lot of chords. But they are
not hard to play.

Chords used in this song

--Am--Am7/G--D7/F#--F---G--D---E--E7--C---A--C#m--F#m--Bm--Bm7-

e------------------------------3---2---0---0---0---0----4-----2------2-----2----
b--1-----1-------1-------1---0---3---0---3---1---2----5-----2------3-----3----
g--2-----0-------2-------2---0---2---1---1---0---2----6-----2------4-----2----
d--2-----2-------0-------3---0---0---2---0---2---2----6-----4------4-----4----
a--0-----X-------X-------3---2-------2----2---3---0----4-----4------2-----2----
e--------3-------2--------1---3-------0----0-------------------2------------------

The song starts with the Am, Am7/G, and D7/F# chords. When you go from the Am to the Am7,
just pick up your ring finger and place it at the 3rd fret of the 6th string. When you go from the
Am7 to the D7, Keep your index finger on the C note on the B string, place your middle finger
on the 6th string 2nd fret, and your ring finger on the G string 2nd fret. On the Am7/G and D7/F#
chords let the finger on the 6th string lightly touch the A string muting it.

The progression Am, Am7/G, D7/F#, F is used in many songs like 25 on 6 to 4 by Chicago or
Ready for Love by Bad Company.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Intro- Am, Am7/G, D7/F#, F, Am, G, D, E

(Am)I look at you (Am7/G)all see the (D7/F#)love there that's (F)sleeping
(Am)While my gui-(G)tar gently (D)weeps (E)
I (Am)look at the (Am7/G)floor and (D7/F#)I see it needs (F)sweeping
(Am)Still my gui-(G)tar gently (C)weeps (E)

(A)I don't know (C#m)why (F#m)nobody (A)told you (Bm)how to un-(Bm7)fold
your (E)love (E7)
(A)I don't know (C#m)how (F#m)someone con-(A)trolled you, (Bm)They bought
and (Bm7)sold (E)you (E7)

I (Am)look at the (Am7/G)world, and I (D7/F#)notice it's (F)turning
With (Am)every mis-(Am7/G)take we must (D7/F#)surely be (F)learning
(Am)Still my gui-(G)tar gently (C)weeps) (E)

(A)I don't know (C#m)how, (F#m)you were di-(A)verted, (Bm)You were
per-(Bm7)verted (E)too (E7)
(A)I don't know (C#m)how, (F#m)you were in-(A)verted, (Bm)No one
a-(Bm7)lerted (E)you (E7)

I(Am)look from the (Am7/G)wings at the (D7/F#)play you are (F)staging
As (Am)I'm sitting (Am7/G)here doing (D7/F#)nothing but (F)aging
(Am)Still my gui-(G)tar gently (C)weeps... (E)

Solo- A Minor Pentatonic
Play Am, Am7/G, D7/F#, F, Am, G, D, E, Am, Am7/G, D7/F#, F, Am, G, C, E
over and over and out

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One of my all-time favourites - in the top 5 anyway.......

I spent hours working on this ,just about got the rhythm guitar, but thast solo...........

Ah well another 47 years I might get there..........

'Nother goodie Wes.......

:) :) :)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

PS - The Am/G chord sounds just as good playing a G chord........

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

This is one of the first songs I learned without a teacher. I bought two Beatles books, one for me and one for my best friend. He asked what song I wanted to work on and I said "I don't care." He had only been playing for maybe 4 months and picked this one. I actually don't like the song much. Too sad. But he wanted to learn it so I did. I remember how freaked I was on the first few chords.

Its wasn't until a half year later did I learn the C#m part on. I had not been doing those barres earlier.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"They say Eric Clapton secretly played the lead guitar."

In their own words......

ERIC - It was very spontaneous. We were in George's car, driving in London, and he said "Do you want to come and play on this record," and I went, "All right. But no-one has ever played on a Beatles record. They won't like that." So George said, "No, it's nothing to do with them, it's my song!"

GEORGE - The next day, I brought Eric with me. He was really nervous. I was saying, "Just come and play on the session, then I can sing and play acoustic guitar." Eric was saying, "No, what will they say?" And I was saying, "**** 'em! That's my song,you know!" He was the first non-Beatle person who had ever played on anything. I admired him as a guitar player and I had no confidence in myself as a guitar player, having spent so many years with Paul McCartney. I rated Eric as a guitar player and he treated me like a human......We did not publicise Eric's playing really but we also did not try and conceal it......we used to hang out such a lot in that period, and Eric gave me a fantastic Les Paul guitar, which is the one he plays on that date. So, it worked out well. I like the idea of other musicians contributing"

(Taken from the book, "The Beatles Off The Record" by Keith Badman)

And re: Badge by Cream.......

GEORGE - "I helped Eric write Badge. Each of them had to come up with a song for the 'Goodbye Cream' album and Eric didn't have his written. We were working across from each other and I was writing the lyrics down and we came to the middle part, so I wrote down 'bridge'. Eric read it upside down, and cracked up laughing. "What's 'Badge?' he asked. After that, Ringo walked in drunk and gave us that line about the swans living in the park."

(Taken from the same book)

Thought you might appreciate these two little anecdotes........

:) :) :)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Fabulous stuff, Vic. Hmm, I'm wondering, based on what George said, that Paul made him feel inferior or maybe I just read into it. Glad EC and GH were cool buddies. I like good endings!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Reading slightly betwen the lines, Paul - as the most accomplished musician in the band - always considered himself the natural leader of the band and as such would always work on his own - or those co-written with John - songs first. George's songs were always worked on last......McCartney resented the fact that George wanted more than one song per album, George resented the fact that songs like "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" always took second place to rubbish like "Revolution 9" - and who can blame him.......

Anyway it's all academic now - since they split I think Lennons output was more prolific and of a consistently higher standard than the others.......George was fairly consistent but put out the odd duff Single - McCartney put out some great stuff till about 73 but not much since ....I mean "Mary Had A Little Lamb" for chrissakes!! and Mull of Kintyre - and Pipes of Peace - and the Frog Chorus thing - there were times I thought, "He's taking the P eye double ess!!!"

Even Ringo did "Back off Boogaloo", "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph" - three classic pop singles before "Pop" became a dirty word............

And George's last Album - "Brainwashed" is quite superb - bought it yesterday and haven't been able to tear my ears away from it since.......

But it's all in the ear of the beholder - Musenfreund (Tim) will probably give you at least 50 good McCartney songs - and I must admit after all these years, was it 70 or 71 when he released "Maybe I'm Amazed" - it still sends a (musical) shiver down my spine.....

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

i like Vinnie Moore's tribute to this song.. different but nice, its on pTab site under Vinnie Moore if anyone wants a listen..

i think i can find the mp3 to it.. hang on

In tribute to the late George Harrison,
Vinnie wanted to add an MP3 of his version of
While My Guitar Gently Weeps in its entirety taken from
the Time Odyssey CD. This is a fairly large file
and will take a little longer to download

- taken from VinnieMoore.com

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Anyway it's all academic now - since they split I think Lennons output was more prolific and of a consistently higher standard than the others.......George was fairly consistent but put out the odd duff Single - McCartney put out some great stuff till about 73 but not much since ....I mean "Mary Had A Little Lamb" for chrissakes!! and Mull of Kintyre - and Pipes of Peace - and the Frog Chorus thing - there were times I thought, "He's taking the P eye double ess!!!"

Not part of this quote but I thought Paul played Bass because, "Goerge was a better guitar player" - almost a quote from Paul?

Back to your quote, I felt the same way until recently! After "Maybe I'm Amazed" it was all POP not rock and roll except maybe some of Venus & Mars.

However, when I started playing guitar I could see SOME of the GEMS he wrote, JUNK, Another Day and some other songs I can't remember? Maybe your right :)

My brother in law (from Scotland) loved "Mull of Kintye" - well I guess he did - he always sang it to me when he was drunk! He sang it allot!

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

(Am)I look at you (Am7/G)all see the (D7/F#)love there

when you say Am7/G, what do you mean by that. Ive seen those in tabs and it confused me. Does it mean that you can play either of the chords at that point in the song or something else?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Re - Am7/G and D/F#....the first is an Am7 chord with a G note added on thr 3rd fret of the bottom E string, and the second is a D chord with an F# note added on the 2nd fret of the same string (though technically it's still a D chord, as F# is the third note in the scale of d)

You could also try substituting a G chord for the Am7/G....

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Vic has it right.

Am7/G is 302010 , D7/F# is 2X0212

Now that is strings 6 through 1 in order, telling you which fret to hold.

......Am7/G..........D/F#

e-----0------------X----
b-----1i-----------1i---
g-----0------------2r---
d-----2m----------0----
a-----0------------X----
e-----3r-----------2m--

Now that shows the fingering i =index finger, m = middle finger, r = ring finger, p = pinky finger

When you see a chord name with a slash "/ " it is usually telling you to add an alternate bass note to what you would regularly play. Usually with an Am7 chord you would have the A note on the 5 string as the bass note. And with a D7 chord you usually use the open D string as the bass note. But the G note on the 6th string belongs to an Am7 chord. The "7th" is your flatted 7th tone of A which is G. And F# belongs to D. It is the 3rd.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@azertyuiop201)
Trusted Member

thanks for the song , it is fun to play

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

"They say Eric Clapton secretly played the lead guitar."

....and Eric gave me a fantastic Les Paul guitar, which is the one he plays on that date. So, it worked out well.
..... ehh.. how bout I trade you this guitar for that wife :twisted:

knyuck knyuck knyuck

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

If it can be played on ukulele, then guitar ought to be a snap, right? :)

My apologies if this has been posted before, but if you have the bandwidth, you got to see this guy....

http://www.transbuddha.com/index.php/buddha/comments/4469/

John A.
Midland, TX

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2