Clear all

White Ciffs of Dover

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@donzo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So... here's my first posting of a song... of course, I didn't figure it out, my teacher did.

A bit of preamble - I know Vera Lynn ain't top of the pops these days and so this will have a limited audience, but what the hell. My parents just had their 50th wedding anniversary. They were teenagers during WWII and this song has sentimental value for them, so I wanted to play it for them at the anniversary. (First performance - a whole other story ;)) I did some searching on the web and the chords I found out there really didn't sound right. So I made my teacher sit down and listen to the mp3... of course in a matter of minutes he had the whole thing down better than any of the online sources. I guess thats why he's a teacher.

I di d a simple Du strum with more emphasis and duration on the D - seemed to work pretty well. Below in the code I have tried to label the "beats" with the "/", but I am including the up strums - so "G / Em /" is only "D u D u".

There are also a few chords that I don't know what they are, I just labelled them with "?" and provided the voicings below. Enjoy if you're into this kind of thing. (Apologies for any mistakes - I didn't this from work during lunch, so don't have the guitar with me to confirm). As for whether its "easy"... well its a lot easier than Time in a Bottle which was posted here! ;)

Don

White Cliffs of Dover

Capo on 1st fret

G / Em / Bm7/ G7* / C / Am / Bm7 / Em /
There'll be bluebirds over, the white cliffs of Dover
C / / / D+? / / / G / Em / C / D /
Tomorrow, just you wait and see

G / Em / Bm7/ G7* / C / Am / Bm7 / Em /
There'll be love and laughter, and peace forever after
C / / / D+? / / / G / / / G7 / / /
Tomorrow, when the world is free

Am / Ammaj7 / Am / A#dim? /
The shepherd will tend his sheep
G / D7 / G6 / G7 /
The valley will bloom a-gain
C / Am / Em / / /
And Jimmy will go to sleep
A7 / / / Am7(?) / D /
In his own little room a-gain

G / Em / Bm7 / G7* / C / Am / Bm7 / Em /
There'll be peace and laughter and joy forever after
C / / / D+? / / / G / Em / C / D /
Tomorrow, just you wait and see

G7* - for this chord use this voicing

e 3
B o
G o
D 3
A x
E x

D+? - no idea how to name this chord. But its dead easy :) From the preceding C all you do is lift the 2nd and 3rd fingers.
e o
B 1
G o
D o
A x
E x

Ammaj7
e o
B 1
G 1
D 2
A o