Skip to content
Wonderful Tonight b...

Notifications
Clear all

Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton, pls help!!!!!

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@fishrmann)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone help me out with this?

I know this a VERY simple version, but at the moment have all but the last two lines sounding pretty good, at least to the lady in my life! Most of the song is pretty straight forward but the last two lines I just cannot seem to get the rythm "just right". Think maybe I'm strumming too much - just do not know.......also if anyone can provide a link to learning a simplified version of the solo as well it'd be greatly appreciated - only have a couple weeks left to learn this one to play in front of a small crowd!! :roll:

Here's a take of the simplified version I've been working on.....

(G)its late in the (D) evening
(C)shes wondering what (D) clothes to wear
(G)she puts on her (D) makeup
(C)and brushes her (D) long blond hair
(C)and then she (D) asks me
(G)do i (D)look (Em) alright
(C)and i (D) say (G)yes
(D)you look (C) wonderful (D)tonight

Thanks in advance from a noobie! :o

(@esrona)
Eminent Member

check out this site :
http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html
it has a sample of the strumming for wonderfull tonight,
(and lots of others)

hope this helps

best,
Ron

ReplyQuote
(@fingersnfumbs)
Eminent Member

ESD

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Hey your version is probably the best way to perform it solo on acoustic. I did this song in front of 300 people in my chem class just as you have it written. Its a good song to perform (and always a hit with the ladies :lol: )

I strummed it but it is an easy one to fingerpick also (I was afraid my hands would be shaking haha)

Id suggest just playing along to the recording of the song to get the timing and transitions down and then practice it alone.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

thought i'd resurrect this thread to say that i found a nice picking pattern for this song in a book. the chords listed above are correct, at least as far as this book is concerned. the picking pattern is: t, i, m, i, r, m, i, m. so in order of strings it's 6, 3, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 2.

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Hey Fishermann,

Instead of strumming throughout the last six chords, try fingerpicking or just strum each chord once to emphasize the words. When all fails, just keep it simple if possible.

There's no rule that you have to strum throughout a song.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi mate

the fact is that the original song is played with arpeggios (excatly the one suggested by pearlthekat), so if you strum it it is not exactly the same. Anyway the song is based on eight notes so you could play it like this

D/du/u/d

or also

D/du/d/d (as suggested by Fender site)

Also try to use partial chords after the first strum (just strum the treble strings)

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote