Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Practice group - Forming

(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Hey guys,

Well this is really a geat response Im getting, it feels great to know you guys can use this stuff as much as I am. Ive come to the conclusion that almost every player, including me, needs some motivation. So this is my plan......

Im going to organize a group of members, who (if willing) would like to commit themselves to a practice regimen Im putting together for myself starting in a few days. It will run MON-FRI everyday without fail, saturdays and sundays left for their own device.

I have updated all of my charts, and am creating a song construction table with common generic formats and common chord progressions to aid in a brainstorming experiment I think that will make us all develop much faster. The practice regimen will run from 1-2 hours....I havent decided yet, and all participants will be dedicated to following it exactly, with no excuses for missing a session. If a session is skipped, it will be compensated for in double time.

I beleive that if we all dedicate ourselves to this group, it will give us a reason to "find the time" to practice when we all know we can and SHOULD. And I am as guilty as anyone for this, ignoring it anyway.

The most difficult thing about practicing is not knowing what to do for how long, so.....

I will post what scales, arpeggios, and chords to practice for how long on each of the five days. There will be charts, permutations, and modulations with diagrams for everything (I have almost completed them anyway). Each day will have a different possition applied from CAGED format, because I beleive it is the easiest way for players of all styles and ability to become better irregardless of experience.

There will be no repetition of excersises on any day.

We will create a song based on a predetermined format, consisting of a prior arrangement created at random by me, EVERY day. This will include BPM, Bridge-Chorus-Verse construction, Key and Harmony. All specifics will be created by the individual following the guidelines. I also think that submitting any recorded results from this would be an awsome way to share our ideas and improvement, this will be up to you.

We will practice:

-Scales, including modes and pentatonics.

-Arpeggios

-Chords

-Song construction

-Triads

Every single day. I am also open to the idea of every week, beginning Monday, choosing a new song for the entire group to work on. This will be a guitar only peice, which can be practiced and studied by participants of any experience level. I will accept song nominations any time and present it to the group. We will dedicate a portion of each practice session to working on this peice.

If you think youd be interested post yourself in here. The more names we get the more likely it is this will work.

I dont care if you have to practice at 3 in the morning to make it work. I want 1-2 hours 5 days a week from all of you (Perferrably two).

So lets hear it... Ill be waiting.

Kido

Topic starter Posted : 08/09/2004 11:04 pm
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

I'm IN! I'll do it!

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2004 11:25 pm
(@idiot85204)
Eminent Member

So its like an over the internet practice group? Sounds like fun i need something to motivate me. Not quite sure how it will work exactly but sure im in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2004 11:51 pm
(@arcmage)
Eminent Member

Sounds interesting, I'll follow your "lessons" if you will to see how things go. I must admit I don't really "practice" that much, I just pick up a guitar when I have the time or am in the mood. Should be sorta like free lessons for a while ;)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2004 12:33 am
(@davidhodge)
Member Moderator

Just make sure that if you're hosting this group here that you take the time to ask permission from the guy who owns the site! After all, it's his money that's making this possible...

Paul's a pretty cool guy- he might even give you your own page for it. But it is only polite to ask first.

Peace

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2004 3:35 am
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Just make sure that if you're hosting this group here that you take the time to ask permission from the guy who owns the site! After all, it's his money that's making this possible...

Paul's a pretty cool guy- he might even give you your own page for it. But it is only polite to ask first.

Peace

Yeah your right,

It was unfair for me to set something like this up here. You can cancel this thread. Ill take it somewhere else.

My bad

Kido

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/09/2004 11:40 am