Questions about Guitarnoise Policy on banning

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Nick Torres
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Some GuitarNoise forum members have become aware that one of our members was recently banned.

Let me answer several questions that were brought up:

First, GuitarNoise has had the unpleasant task of banning a grand total of two members in a little over two years. Two members out of 3000 odd total. I think those are pretty good numbers.

We moderators do very little to keep this forum like it is. The members keep it civil all by themselves. No one is holding anyone here against their will. I like to think we keep growing because of what guitarnoise is. And it's the members that make guitarnoise the great place to learn that it has become.

About our policy:

No one is banned because of a PM. I don't read them. I would have to change your password to get into your PMs and since I can't read what it was originally I couldn't change it back to what it was. That would be pretty obvious right?

What people do get banned for is a continued violation of the Terms of Service of this board. Everybody agreed to them when they signed on. They are posted randomly around the forum.

I won't discuss this particular case in specifics, but anybody who uses this forum and it's PM system for:

"...abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. "

You will note the "immediately". Well that's not what we do.

In this case and the only other case of banning a member, we gave multiple written warnings, a one week suspension from posting and a final warning. Immediately in this case took over a month. Although this policy isn't written in stone, I don't see us deviating from it unless we have a particularly bad case or a troll, or someone whose only posts are entirely and purposefully in violation of the TOS.

I am the Guitarnoise Staff member in charge of the forums. I don't get paid, but I do my best. I try to be fair. I try to be understanding and lenient. I discuss almost every major decision on this forum with my fellow moderators, the rest of the staff and the owner of the site.

I will do whatever it takes to keep this place a friendly, family oriented, positive site for learning a little about guitar.

Out of respect for the privacy of the banned member, we will not discuss the specifics of the case.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me or email me. I will be happy to answer.

Thanks,

Nick

Posted : 29/05/2004 3:41 pm