Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Remembering the 70's...

Page 1 / 4
(@fretzky)
Eminent Member

I'm sure I am dating myself with this trivial post:

I was listening to a stand-up comic last night on tv. He was joking about the 1970's; about how everything that we did had a song associated with it. The age of The Partridge Family, and reruns of The Monkees etc. The Gilligan's Island theme, tv commercials etc.

He said, "Only in the 70's would we find a 45 rpm record stuck on cereal boxes. And we'd cut them off the box , and they would actually work!"

Totally, brought me back to a long-forgotten childhood memory...

Later,
Fretzky 8)

Topic starter Posted : 20/08/2004 4:12 pm
(@alangreen)
Member Moderator

And if you wanted to learn the words of a song, you went to the shop and bought "Disco 45" (last Friday of every month, although the shop I went to used to get it on the Wednesday)

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2004 4:33 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Disco 45, hell that brings back memories - I remember buying the T.Rex special........

and the David Cassidy special for the then girlfriend........

And those floppy discs we used to get as freebies from the NME and Melody Maker.......

Having to buy Record Mirror as well for the BBC charts.......

Wearing flares and not feelin self-conscious.......

Wearing the yellow and green kipper tie my mum bought me for Xmas and feeling a total pratt.....thank the lord there are no pictures of that!!!!

Waiting for "World in Action" to come on for the theme music - only found out many years later it was "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain.......

Going to Rothery Radio in St. Helens on my way home from school and being able to listen to a record before you bought it...in what looked like a phone booth, and listening to it through an old-fashioned telephone receiver.......

Penny Round shirt collars.......

Watching bands like T.Rex, Slade and Mott the Hoople on "Top of the Pops".....

Listening to Radio Luxembourg with a cheap radio stashed under the pillow.......

Watching my first gig, T.Rex in Wigan ...and seeing myself on Top of the Pops 2 weeeks later when "Jeepster" hit the charts...........

And Liverpool winning the league year after year after year...and a couple of FA cups......and a couple of UEFA cups.....and a couple of European Cups, back in the days where you had to win the league to be in the premier competition in Europe.........

A bedroom wall covered with posters of T.Rex, Slade, Mott the Hoople and Nazareth....and Kevin Keegan......

My first guitar........and the wah-wah and fuzz pedals I got with it, from a catalogue......

Getting married - no let's not go there..........

Ah well, enough reminiscing for now........!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2004 6:46 pm
(@fretzky)
Eminent Member

:)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/08/2004 10:50 pm
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The Bruins OWNING the Stanley Cup.

Listening to old music and asking, "Why was all the good music made in the 60's, man?"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2004 12:19 am
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I remember the 70's and they were great............It's the 60's that are a bluuuurrrrrr

And then again, the 80's, 90's and these 0's aren't bad either plus they each have their great music and musicians..

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2004 12:23 am
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Check out this concert flyer from Summer 1973 Don't forget to look closely at the ticket price. Ah wasn't life grand ?

[ http://www.davidbromberg.net/081873.html ]

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2004 4:40 am
(@alangreen)
Member Moderator

Ah - prices.

I remember having to walk home when I bought one of Cozy Powell's singles (Na na na?) cos the price had gone up from 45p to 50p. I'd only taken out 55p and I didn't have any more cash for the 5p bus ride home.

Geez, it took me 30 minutes to walk home.

Albums were GBP 3.45 then. You pay that for a single by some no-good one-tune wonder these days.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2004 8:03 am
(@taylorr)
Honorable Member

Id give up the internet for prices like that to see people like that.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2004 8:19 am
(@hobsonator)
Eminent Member

I spent most of the seventies learning how to play guitar.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2004 6:05 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I remember the guy who used to have a record stall on the local market - when singles were 50p he sold ex-juke box singles for 20p, 2p for a plastic middle....I never bothered with them because my Fidelity music centre had a pop-up middle.....!!!

:) :) :)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2004 6:14 pm
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

LED ZEPPELIN that what I loved about the 70's

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2004 11:14 pm
(@taylorr)
Honorable Member

I remember the guy who used to have a record stall on the local market - when singles were 50p he sold ex-juke box singles for 20p, 2p for a plastic middle....I never bothered with them because my Fidelity music centre had a pop-up middle.....!!!

:) :) :)
Whats with all them ps and whatnot?

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2004 12:47 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You may transcend location, but you won't be able to buy anything when you get there. p is pence, ponce.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2004 1:00 am
(@taylorr)
Honorable Member

You may transcend location, but you won't be able to buy anything when you get there. p is pence, ponce.

I like the use of alliteration there. Quality. Even if it did insult me.

Thanks for answering my question.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2004 2:41 am
Page 1 / 4