Clear all

Remembering the 70's...

Page 2 / 4
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As in 100p = £1 in the same way 100c = $1

(I think!)

:) :) :)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2004 10:39 pm
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I had swome 45's with the clip on plastic piece, but then I got a record player that came with black plastic piece that slid over the center spindle and fit the large-holed 45's.
I still have a decent collection of 45's with some great old sleeves. I have a half-dozen XTC sleeves that fold out to become things like mini puppet theatres. Let alone all those great Plastic Ono Band photo covers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2004 11:44 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

RE - Plastic Ono Band - did you ever look at Lennon's hairstyle on the cover of Mind Games (The Single) and then turn it sideways.......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2004 2:41 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

No offense intended, it's just good alliteration is so hard to come by now days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2004 1:08 pm
(@thejackal)
Trusted Member

What about no such thing as plastic bottles.

Everything came in glass.

Best bottle of coke I ever had. Ice cold glass bottle.

Then you could return the bottle and get 10c. In AUS anyway. We'd collect as many as we could then go to the corner shop and buy lollies (candy) that were all 1c each. I look now and they are like 10c a go. You only ever needed to find 10 bottles to live like a king. Now you dont even get the refund. lol

TheJackal.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=283413

Only dead fish go with the flow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2004 7:23 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I remember desperately trying - as a very young teenager - to drag bedtime out till 9.00 on a tuesday night - there used to be a political forum programme on called "World in Action"......I loved the theme music - only found out a few months ago it was "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain........asked about this before, if someone can find me a good tab for this you'll be my friend for life............tried working it out myself, still haven't got too far.........!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2004 1:01 am
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Here're a bunch of tabs options. I have no idea if any of them are any good though.

http://www.tabrobot.com/cgi-bin/tsearch.pl?terms=mountain&mode=group&direct=1

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2004 1:01 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, Narn, the first one I looked at....on Ultimate guitar.......seems reasonably close.....

Vic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2004 7:18 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Aaaaaaaah Mountain
Takes me back to all night parties, Prawn cocktails, Afgan coats the smell of Morocco'n gold.

I love the intro to Long Red on the Live album the first thing I tabbed out for myself

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/10/2004 8:24 pm
(@dogsbody)
Honorable Member

I remember your afgan coat Rod!

The hound was still in it, well it smelt that way.

But seriously folks,

My first LP (The Beatles of course!) `A Hard Day's Night' bought from Carol's record shop in Cirencester in 1970. A major purchase then £4-11s-6d.

We didn't have a record player until Rod got a Bush mono autochanger for his birthday that year. So we only started our record collecting then.

Total weekly wage after tax £7-10s-0d, minus 15 shillings to my parents for board and lodging. Yes, you had to save up to by an album then! How things have changed.

I also bought my first guitar there (A full weeks wages!!!!) it was right handed three quarter size and being a lefty I gave up in dispair trying to play it a few months later.

Happy days

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2004 7:27 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I believe that I have something even rarer - A Hard Day's Night on 1/4" reel-to-reel tape in it's original box.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2004 7:02 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Well don't delay get it on EBay

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2004 7:26 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

£4-11-6d for an LP in 1970?

I bought "Quo" by Status Quo in 1974, still has the price sticker on the cover....one of those you try to take off, it takes half the cover with it... that was £3.10, first time I ever paid more than three quid for an album - out of £15 (roughly) wages....

Just imagine, LP's cost more than 20% of your wages.........!!!!

And the 70's were the good old days? They may have been fun, but they were bloody expensive...!!!

I think they saw you coming there, Chris...!!!

Vic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2004 7:48 pm
(@dogsbody)
Honorable Member

Hi vic,

I think your right but it was my first purchase, time may have blurred my memory by a few shillings. I did have to order it from Carol's (all right I was six years to late for the first pressings).

Carol's music shop was a tiny family concern mostly interested in selling sheet music, Burt Weedons learn guitar in seven days and cheap instruments.

Your probably fed up with all this. But you wern't doing a Paul Macartney the other day were you? Remember Abbey Road and the VW Beetle number plate 28 IF. The Paul is dead scandal.

Sorry Vic maybe thats not funny. But I'm damn glad your not dead.

Cheers

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2004 12:08 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

I bought my first brand new guitar in 1973. A black Fender Stratocaster
with a maple neck. She is still my main axe.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/12/2004 12:20 am
Page 2 / 4