and smell that weed

ok I said it but who didn't ????????

now days the hair has long gone

and my faded denims hold pride of place in my closet

ohhh I don't smoke any more either

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/12/2004 4:17 am
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I got my first car in 1977 , a 1969 Pontiac Firebird . My favorite memories involve playing my 8-track tape player at deafening volume and racing with friends everywhere we went . The Outlaws tape had "Green grass and high tides " on it and the song took up the entire 4th program , all ten minutes of it . You could listen to it , then hit the button three times and listen to it again . My God what a rush !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2005 3:19 am
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

Oh yeah!! 8 tracks. Bob Seger belting out "Night Moves" while bumpy country roads supplied the tremolo effect to the mechanism in the player.

40 watt power boosters

Hearing Dust in the Wind live for the first time.

Trying not to look like John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever

Platform soles and Boogie Nights.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2005 6:06 am
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

I'd love to take the stroll down memory lane with you all, but that's physically impossible, since I was born about 40 hours into the 80s...

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2005 7:15 pm
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

You had to love those 8-tracks!

Had a VW Van with an 8-track player mounted on the side of the driver's seat. Listening to Kansas was like:

"Duussst in the [KER-CHUNK] wiinnnd"

I love the 70's music, but I love it best on MP3s. It was a great decade, though. The best of the five I've seen so far.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2005 8:30 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

"Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain........asked about this before, if someone can find me a good tab for this you'll be my friend for life............tried working it out myself, still haven't got too far.........!!!!! I think I have a chord chart for it somewhere if that would help.
1970 got my first guitar a 1962 gibson sg- 1980 my first wife took it in the divorce settlement. first car a 1972 pinto with 8-track, saw my first stones concert in 72, met my first wife in 78, ah well, can't let one bad thing spoil an entire decade

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2005 10:26 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well let's hope you get to see the Stones again....I know one thing for sure, when they come to England I'll be in the audience come hell or high water.....

70's memories...watching Mott the Hoople at Liverpool Stadium in 74... back to reality, saw Ian Hunter last night in Liverpool, what a let-down... noting wrong with his voice or the band, probably me...I wanted Mott the Hoople and got Ian Hunter....

And just watching a tape of Chuck Berry playing at the BBC studio in '72 - THANKS DOGSBODY!!!! - I remember my mum turning the radio off every time "My Ding-a-ling" came on....!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2005 11:45 am
(@dogsbody)
Honorable Member

Yeah,

and did you note the shy nervous laughter from the very coy conservative looking couples in the audience. And their reluctance to sing the lines with Chuck.

What would Mummy say!!

Were we all really like that in the 70's?

Yep I suppose we were!

Chris.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2005 12:14 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I said to Marilyn, "Ha-ha, just look at those hairstyles".....stopped laughing when she pointed out my hairstyle hasn't changed since '74... ah well, it never did Brian May any harm....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2005 12:32 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

There is no way I am going to miss them when they come to Denver Nov. 24th. Already told the Mrs. I want tickets for an anniversay gift. Trying to convince her 20th is the anniversary when you give the gift of Keith Richards
Also saw Johnny Winter live for the first time in 73 I think with Bobby Bland as the opening act

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2005 2:22 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Anyone remember "Prince-Of-Wales" check trousers? sort of a houndtooth check pattern...I had a pair of huge POW flares with a bit of yellow in them....used to wear them with a yellow shirt with a huge collar, a black v-neck short-sleeved sweater and a sort of light grey sports jacket....

Thank the lord there are no photos!!!!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2005 1:51 am
(@dogsbody)
Honorable Member

Yes Vic I remember them. I think they followed on from:- wait for it!

"Two Tone Tonic trousers"
They were usually in greyish green or brownish gold, straight and used to change colour depending on how the light struck them. You were'nt cool unless you were wearing them with Ben Sherman button down check pattern short sleeved shirts with a centre back pleat (cor that was a long description of a shirt!).
Also this had to be worn with a black Crombie coat with hankerchief in the left breast pocket retained with a tie pin and flourescent socks and brogue shoes to complete the ensamble.

What were we called? "Smoothies" What a ridiculous name!

Oh! and you needed a Lamberetta TV175 or SX200 or a GP150/200 scooter (Vespa's were a no no) kitted out with all the chrome crash bars, mirrors, plastic fly screen, backrest, oh! and don't forget the model number of your scooter in white letters on the flyscreen.

One final item of clothing, a navy blue greatcoat from the Army Navy Stores to wear leaning back with your arms at full stretch and your hands barely holding the handlebars. The only cool way to cruise around town on a saturday night with your mates

Used to cost us a fortune to buy and we had to travel from Cirencester where we lived at the time 15 miles to Cheltenham to find all this.

I had the scooter, but not all of the clobber. It all died out around 1973/74 when we all got cars. Shame!
Rodders had all the clobber but not a road worthy scooter. He had an old Lamberetta LD150.

Ah! and the music, well it had to be Trojan Reggee, and Motown Soul. I never got into that music much then but I love hearing it nowadays. It got to be better than that Frog rubbish we get now.

Unfotunately there's not a photo of this to be found. Unless Rodders has any. I suppose we were a sort of throwback to the earlier 1960 Mods.

Why do I remember all this stuff? I don't know! He-----lp!

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2005 9:10 am
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I remember desperately trying - as a very young teenager - to drag bedtime out till 9.00 on a tuesday night - there used to be a political forum programme on called "World in Action"......I loved the theme music - only found out a few months ago it was "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain........asked about this before, if someone can find me a good tab for this you'll be my friend for life............tried working it out myself, still haven't got too far.........!!!!!

Hi Vic,

Found this one for you

http://www.guitaretab.com/m/mountain/13020.html

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2005 9:20 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That looks a good tab...thanks Rodders!!!

Might need a bit of messing round with though....or just a capo on the 3rd fret, sure it starts with Gm....

Anyway, I'll give it a bash....let you know how I get on....

Thanks again,

Vic

Oh yeah....has that brother of yours sent you the plec and badges from the Cavern or has he kept 'em all for hisself?

Vic

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2005 1:17 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Pic and badges eh????? Hmmmmmmm, I might have to have a word.

Cheers Vic.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/06/2005 1:45 pm
Page 3 / 4