Close
Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

WD-40 Tested & Proven for guitars!

(@ronrocks)

I new here, so I hope this topic hasn't been brought-up before. WD-40 is awesome on any fret-board to clean frets & strings, plus it's like using Finger Ease and eliminates string squeek! I keep a clean cotton rag dowsed in WD-40 in a zip-lock bag in case compartment. Wipe fret-board real good & wipe off excess, you'll be flying all over the place! I've used it on Martins, Gibsons(acoustic/electric), any guitar I've owned and it Never hurt the finish EVER! Farmers swear by it for cow knee joints and some people say they use it on their knee, elbow & finger joints too! The main ingredient is fish oil (I thought it was silicone) so it's pretty natural & kinda smells good too. This is a win, win situation!

Topic starter Posted : 30/03/2011 5:45 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Sorry to say, but whoever told you WD40 contains fish oil may be more knowledgeable about snake oil...
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 45-50 %
Petroleum Base Oil <25 %
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 12-18 %
Carbon Dioxide 2-3 %
Surfactant <2 %
Non-Hazardous Ingredients <10 %
And I'm not certain I'd advise using WD40 for personal health uses either.
Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

And, I'd be cautious using anything that is a petroleum or hydrocarbon based around paints and finishes that we have on typical guitars. Some of those finishes may be soluble in the hydrocarbons used in WD40.

However, WD40 is awesome for it's primary use as a mechanical lubricant, rust inhibitor and water displacer.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2011 6:53 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Nice job, Kent Eh. Thanks.
Hope there's no one ever who just reads the initial post of the thread. :(

Don

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2011 7:56 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Sorry to say, but whoever told you WD40 contains fish oil may be more knowledgeable about snake oil...
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 45-50 %
Petroleum Base Oil <25 %
LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 12-18 %
Carbon Dioxide 2-3 %
Surfactant <2 %
Non-Hazardous Ingredients <10 %
And I'm not certain I'd advise using WD40 for personal health uses either.
Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

And, I'd be cautious using anything that is a petroleum or hydrocarbon based around paints and finishes that we have on typical guitars. Some of those finishes may be soluble in the hydrocarbons used in WD40.

However, WD40 is awesome for it's primary use as a mechanical lubricant, rust inhibitor and water displacer.

I've been told for years and years never to use WD40 on a stringed instrument.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2011 9:27 pm