Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Alternative to Guitar Pro

(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This may sound like advertising, but really, it is not... just something useful I found on the Net recently.

I remember a lot of previous topics where the subject of Guitar Pro and Power Tab come up. I think that Guitar Pro is generally considered the better of the two programs, but it is commercial and costs a decent amount of money.

I just found a free alternative to Guitar Pro called "Tux Guitar". It has the same interface and all the features of Guitar Pro (except for the RSE sounds).

http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/

Anyway, if you have been putting off buying Guitar Pro due to cost, check out Tux Guitar.

Seriously, I am not affiliated in any way... just came across the program and was really impressed.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Not quite sure I'm gonna give it a spin or not. Already got GP. Does look neat though.

What's interesting is that it'll import GP files. My software law might be a bit hazy, but isn't the GP format proprietary property of Guitar Pro? Seems like they would not want someone to come along and let other companies use their formats for free instead of buying their own product.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

which one do you download for windows xp sp3?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Thanks, lue42. I had a version a while back that expired after a week, IIRC. This one looks to just keep going and going.
I just gave the Mac version a whirl and everything seems to work great. Couldn't figure out how to solo a track, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.
Opens power tabs as well...
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For Windows XP (and Vista?) download "Windows-x86 Installer". It requires that you have a Java Runtime installed.

If you don't have a Java Runtime version, download either of the other ones.

You can tell if you have a Java Runtime by checking in the Control Panel for an icon called "Java". If you see the icon, you have it.

==============

As far as the legalities of software like this... I can think of many examples where software can read (and create) files in the same format as another program. For example, "FoxIt reader and creator" can read and create files using Adobe's PDF format. Open Office can do the same for MS Word Files.

I think the line is drawn when the file type itself is a new technology, rather than just a file saving some "information". For example, the image format "GIF" is a licenced file type (it uses proprietary compression techniques). I am not sure if it went through, but there was a lot of talk (and court cases) about it and its use by companies (and licencing fees). A GP file is really just a text file describing the contents... there are not any proprietary compression methods, etc that would be infringed.

My opinion on stuff like this is... let the better software win. Competition benefits the consumer. I am happy to see that there are a bunch of guys at home participating in an open source project like this, and can produce free software that can compete directly with commercial software. It keeps the software companies on their toes. Bettering their software, making it worth it to buy and in the end, better for the buyer.

==============

As noted, it may be limited in its advanced tab "creation" features... it *is* only version 1... give it time. But, as a tab viewer/player, I think it is definitely a good choice. If all you plan on doing is viewing, playing and printing... I don't think it is worth paying $60 for GP when this is available for free. Anyone that currently owns GP would be giving up features and should probably stick with GP.

My Guitars
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think that, if the authors of GP, have formalised a structure to store their data, whether encrypted, compressed or sandwiched between two pieces of bread, they have an intellectual property right.

If they have copied the user interface of GP, they are IMHO definitely contravening the intellectual property of the GP authors.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

On the surface, yeah, it looks like Tux Guitar is an outright rip off of GP... similar interface, file formats, etc. If I were the owner/author of GP, yeah, I would be upset and looking to sue.

However, laws about this stuff must be either non-existent, too vague, or too specific... there are tons of examples of software out there that can read other programs' formats. There are fewer that can export/save as their competitors formats (which seems more wrong to me)... and then there are others that are basically a complete copy of others ("Open Office" for example). But, if Microsoft hasn't been able to get rid of Open Office, then the laws must not be on their side.

But, as a consumer, I like it - makes for better software for me, and like this example, *free* software.

FoxIt is another good example. In my opinion... noone should ever use Adobe Reader again. There is no reason a simple PDF reader should be 100+ MB. FoxIt is small, free, fast and has all the features (and more) of Adobe Reader.

I would be using Linux too if it weren't for the wife factor... she refuses to learn anything new.

My Guitars
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

well, i love it.
a really helpful link to post - thanks :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

there are other considerations in this particular case.
ie; the tab files themselves.
in the case of guitar pro, the legalities have been worked out, and the royalties paid where they apply.
as far as power tabs are concerned tho, the agreement has not been reached yet as far as i can tell.
http://www.powertabs.net/

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@christopherius)
Eminent Member

I use Tuxguitar on a regular basis and I like it a lot.

Chris
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/christopherius/th_FenderSig.jpg

ReplyQuote