Clear all

Accoustic Guitar Sims

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I know the short answer. There are no good accoustic guitar simulators. However, I've got this Boss GT-10 that has one. I'm not going for an unrealistic result, but I would like to create a patch that puts out a really soft and warm, undriven tone. While I am using a specific tool (GT-10), perhaps some of the general parameters are cross-platform. Soooo, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Here's where I'm at:

Accoustic simulator on.
Mids about 45%
Bass about 55%
Treble about 70%
It also lets you set the mid range frequency, which I left at 500 MHZ

It's running through the Boss Clean pre-amp. I have 3 other clean pre-amps to choose from, plus, I can turn them off entirely. There's also a preamp called "Full Range". Various settings on the pre-amp right now.
EQ pretty flat except for Treble at 70%.
Gain is at 20. It's very much only that high just so I can have some sort of output.
Presence 60
preamp level 90 (to make up for low gain that kills volume)
Bright switch on
gain switch is Low
solo switch off

I have switched the preamp off and the sound just got lower and a bit muffled. Not a whole lot change in tone.

I also am running some chorus, delay and reverb. Not sure if that helps or not.

Basically, all this gives me is a clean electric guitar with some punch you would not typically hear in an accoustic sound.

Again, if anyone has any good ideas or see something I should elminate or change, fire away!

EDIT: I am running straight to PC. No further amp happening.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Look forward to hearing from your many experienced friends on the forum..... :D :D :D

You said "I know the short answer. There are no good accoustic guitar simulators. However, I've got this Boss GT-10 that has one."

I've read your thoughts and your settings in detail. As an owner of the GT-6, I can fairly well understand what you're doing with the same COSM modelling effects, except now you have duals - don't know if that means more of everything?

I didn't find that my attempts to obtain acoustic tone from electric guitars were very successful or realistic, and all the way ... it was kind of difficult, to me.

I then got a simple, Boss AC-2, so simple to use, dedicated to acoustic tone, types and timbre and less of a PITA to use - it is a dedicated pedal, aiming at only one thing.

I don't recommend it either, I eventually found the Zoom G1 from a magazine ad, jumped on it, and had way more fun and better results, IMO. It has a few patches that are blended well.

Main thing, if this post suggests anything or helps - use lower power single coils and avoid using the guitars with humbuckers. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response, Blue Jay.

That AC-2 or the AC-3 is built in to this GT-10. Those pedals really beg for a proper PA system from what I understand. So too does this GT-10, but I am finding out that my 30W fender SS doesn't color things as much as I thought it did. Regardless, I've got line out from GT-10 into computer eliminating the amp from the mix all together. When recording, it's pretty much just a monitor turned way down low.

I was using my Epi LP in the neck and middle positions. I did have the guitar output really low. There's sort of a melodic tone that comes out of the neck position when volume is low. I was hoping to keep that, but a quick try with the Strat, Tele and my P-90 equipped POS all sort of reduced some of the growl that I wanted gone. I think there's a net gain when using this accoustic sim. I'm going to walk away from it for a couple of hours and then try it again.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote