Skip to content
Behringer GI100 Ult...

Notifications
Clear all

Behringer GI100 Ultra-G DI Box: A MUST Have!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I got a Behringer GI100 Ultra-G DI Box from eBay for $20 shipped kind of by accident. I was looking at something else and decided to check out the seller's other auctions. I checked the reviews at Harmony Central and Musician's Friend and all of them were outstanding so I bought it. It just came in today and MAN! This thing is SWEET! Since I live in an apartment getting a 4x12 cab would surely get me evicted :shock: This thing makes it sound like it IS a 4x12 cab! It runs on battery or phantom power (which is what I used.) There are special instructions for those with tube amps (you have the read the manual since I didn't quite understand it?) but it canbe used for bass & keyboards as well. a regulat 1/4" cable goes to the input and an XLR cable goes out to your mixer.

All I can say is if you can get your hands on one of these grab it! Make sure you get the RED box and not the silver/grey (I can't remember the name of the grey one?) since the grey does not have the cab sim on it.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I have the silver version (no cab emulation) and I use it to connect my bass to the church's PA. I specifically didn't want the cab sim for bass, but for electric guitar I would have gotten the red as you did.

A number of people told me not to get it - they said that any low-priced DI box would kill my tone and that only a high-end DI box would suffice. Whatever. It's clean, quiet, seems durable (surprising for Behringer, imho), and does it's job. And the -20db pad switches have been invaluable.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Even if you got the red version you can turn the cab sim on or off which is very nice. The one thing I forgot to mention was what I don't like about it...there isn't an on/of switch for the unit?! This seems to be the norm for Behringer which I just don't understand...Many of their products you have to unplug the input cable to tuen the unit off...

Otherwise this unit is worth MUCH more than even what MF sells it for!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I tried it with my Boss GX700, Behringer V-amp, Vox AD30 and Epi VJH. It's nice, but doesn't really sound like a properly mic'ed cab. Still a nice solution if mic'ing a cab isn't an option and there isn't room for a iso box.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

DI boxes with pro-grade miked cab emulations or modeling are not cheap. For anything around $20 to 50 USD, a simple approximation -- probably just frequency response, no non-linearities or level-related models would be on par, and probably useful for most purposes. Price goes up quickly with marginal improvements to models/emulations.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote