Clear all

Big Muff

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you to everyone who chimed in and helped me out in my last post about distortion pedals. After much thought I've decided that my next pedal is going to be a Big Muff. I can get a next-to-new used Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi for $50. But I'm curious what the difference is between the silver EH Big Muff and a green Russian Big Muff I had, but got rid of, many years ago. Can anyone tell me? Is there a difference in sound, or quality? Thanks.

Dan

(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I only have the USA Big Muff so I can't be of much help to you. You could check youtube for demos of each pedal or try to find a store that has both so you can try them out side by side.

I love my Big Muff to death, so whichever one you go with, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The sound is different between the two, but nothing that extreme.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I remember my kid bought Bass Balls, years ago.
It was made in Russia, or someplace like that.......Extremely poorly made. I would never purchase one of their products after that.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Oh yeah, on the Russian model the input jacks are plastic(which should be fine unless you are rough with it) while the USA ones are metal.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies, all. I think I'll go with the U.S. made pedal as long as the sound isn't vastly different between the two.

Dan

ReplyQuote