Notifications
Clear all

blown boss wah pedal

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@volks)
Topic starter  

I just got a new boss v-wah pedal and plugged in my boss gt-3 power supply and the on light came on for a second then went off. Now the pedal won't work at all with batteries. I read on the net that if it is the wrong power supply it can blow the circuit board. I rang an electronics guy and he said it was $50 just to look at it. Any Ideas? Cheers

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is very possible by using the wrong wall wart (power supply) that you could have blown the pedal.
there usually is a small diagram where the power supply plugs into the pedal. it shows which configuration to use.
ground rings, etc, vary . not all wall warts are the same.
I doubt you can get a refund if it was that problem.
however, manufactures make mistakes.
50$ is a lot to find out who is at fault. you have my sympathies.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

What was the output voltage and output amps rating on the power supply? It should say something like 9V 200 mA (or something close to that, unless it's a more sophisticated effect, like a multi-fx pedal). Next, what was the rated voltage and current for the effect? It should be either in the manual or posted on the effect near the power jack input. If the supply had a much larger voltage and current than the pedal than I would say don't bother sending it to the electronics guy, you probably blew the circuit and I'd try to see if it's fixable.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@volks)
Topic starter  

What was the output voltage and output amps rating on the power supply? It should say something like 9V 200 mA (or something close to that, unless it's a more sophisticated effect, like a multi-fx pedal). Next, what was the rated voltage and current for the effect? It should be either in the manual or posted on the effect near the power jack input. If the supply had a much larger voltage and current than the pedal than I would say don't bother sending it to the electronics guy, you probably blew the circuit and I'd try to see if it's fixable.

Thanks mate, your filling me with hope. The Power pack I used is for the Boss GT-3. It is called the BR-230 and is:
INPUT: AC230V - 50Hz 18VA
OUTPUT: AC14V - 800ma

The power pack I was supposed to use was Boss PSA-240
INPUT: 230V-50Hz
OUTPUT: 9v - 200ma

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Volks

Sorry to tell you this, but you made a big mistake. You plugged a 14 volt power supply into a pedal that operates on 9 volts. Probably ruined the pedal, and it is doubtful you can return it because the mistake was yours.

You have to use the correct power supply for pedals. You need to match the voltage, but you also need to look at the small diagram that shows whether the center tip is positive or negative. Most pedals the center tip is negative, but there are exceptions like my old Rat pedal with center tip positive. If I plugged a power supply with center tip negative into the Rat it will damage the pedal.

Some pedals will also tell the the milliamps spec. It may say use only a 9V 300ma power supply for instance. So that is something to be careful about as well.

Unfortunately, you have probably ruined this pedal.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote