Blues Junior Warbling effect

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I've had my Fender Blues Jr. amp for about a year I'd say and recently I've started noticing a warbling effect in the amp. At first I thought maybe it was one of my effects but it still does it when I plug the guitar directly in to the amp. It's most noticable when the amp is in the Fat setting with the volume turned a bit up. I notice is even when playing clean, fat volume turned down and the master turned up to control volume. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue and if this may be something that's part of the amp and I never noticed before. Anyway...thanks for any input and I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Mike

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

What do you mean by warbling? Can you post a clip? What I think you might be experiencing could be one of many things.

1) It could be the natural sag of the tubes. Think of a car stereo with big subs and when the bass kicks in the amp struggles to put out enough power to push the bass resulting in a kind of drop in potency. Tubes have a plate which require a charge. When you crank it and hit a heavy chord it sort of zaps the charge out of the tubes and the power transformer has to make up that charge again.

This is what makes Mesa Boogie Double and Triple Rectifiers so popular for Metal. By using double and triple rectifiers they create kind of a buffer to minimize SAG. Tube Tone. Less SAG. = Death dealing crunch.

2) It could be that the speaker can't handle the amount of power the amp is putting out or that you've already blown the speaker.

3) There may be a faulty or dying tube.

Things to consider:

-always make sure your amp has time to warm up before you play.
-always allow your amp time to acclimatize if you have just brought it in from the cold.
-Never turn on an amp if there is no speaker connected.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't think I have a way of recording what it sounds like. It sort of sounds like hooking up a wah pedal and pumping the pedal up and down as you're playing all the time. It's more noticeable when it's being driven and less so when clean, more noticeable on the bass strings, less noticeable on the treble strings. I may have to break down and take it in and see what a tech says :(

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

Sounds like a dying tube, but take it to your techie.

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I let my friend hear it and I'm not crazy. He thinks it's more of a tremelo effect than what I call it. He also thinks maybe a tube might be calling. I'll call my techie guy and see if I can bring it in...maybe next weekend. :(

ReplyQuote