Clear all

bridge pick up recommendation for epiphone arch top

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi my fellow noisians. Just wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a pickup in the bridge position. I recently got a Ephiphone Dot archtop semi-hollow body. i think the neck pick up sounds awesome and the guitar is really playable and I started tackling a couple of the standard tuning songs in the From the Cradle songbook. But the bridge position pick up...GODS that's a horrible sound. i never use it. It's totally screechy when the guitar is over-drived in any way. Was wondering if the incredible collective talent of my fellow guitar noise forums users would point me in a good direction to replace it with another pick up that's good for playing the blues :) Thanks for any advice. :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well first I'd say try playing with the pickup height; you might find that raising it up closer to the strings gives a thicker sound.

Otherwise, I'd look at what's in the comparable "high end" Gibby 335 guitars or whatever model the Epi is based on; I think Gibson '57 Classic humbuckers would be ideal.

For less money, the new Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF looks really interesting.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote