Skip to content
Broken Adapter - Do...

Notifications
Clear all

Broken Adapter - Don't want to fry pedal with Replacement.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@colin-rp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I plugged in my digitech rp 500 pedal today and there was no response. I'm currently assuming that the adaptor is damaged. I had left it plugged in when I unplugged it from the pedal. I went to a couple of thrift stores and found what looks to be a suitable replacement but I don't really have any accurate knowledge about these things. I am really just guessing. The original adaptor has/had an input of 120VAC 60Hz 30W with an output 9VAC 1.5A. The possible replacement has an input of 120VAC 60Hz 10W with an output of 9VAC 400mA. The input jack on the pedal reads 9VAC 1.3A I don't want to risk messing up my pedal by overloading it with an incorrect adaptor so if anyone could help me with this dilemma with some accurate knowledge I would greatly appreciate it.
cheers
Colin

(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Three things you want to check:
1. DC/AC - must match. This is okay. (If DC then you have the extra worry of the polarity indicator, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols , again, needs to match).
2. Voltage, must match. Again, okay here. These first two are the ones that if wrong will cause things to cook.
3. Current, on the pedal indicates how much it wants, on the power supply indicates how much it can supply. Here you don't have enough, 400mA is less than 1.3A, so the pedal wants more than the adaptor can give (1.3A is quite a lot for a PSU). Most likely things will not be damaged if you plug it in, but it wouldn't work and might overload the PSU.

A fourth point, less critical, is that power supplies for digital equipment and chargers may not be quiet enough for audio use. It can be quite tough to get high current PSUs and AC ones too, maybe try Amazon or eBay, this looks like what you're after http://www.amazon.com/Digitech-PS0913B-RP100-350-HarmonyMan-TimeBender/dp/B0002Z2CYU , though I don't know whether the connector is right.

ReplyQuote
(@colin-rp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much. That is all very useful knowledge.
I'll check out the links.
cheers!
Colin

ReplyQuote