Skip to content
Can I use guitar ef...

Notifications
Clear all

Can I use guitar effects boxes for bass?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Can I use guitar effects boxes for bass, or will there be an increased signal, overdriving the pedals, etc? I am not sure, that's why I'm asking.

I don't want to take a chance on burning out my guitar pedals, & I really don't want to have to purchase all new separate effects for my bass, plus they seem more expensive from what I have been seeing on the websites.

What are you guys experiences with this?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that amount of juice coming from a pickup is tiny. it will not harm the pedal effect box at all.
now, what comes out of the box is a whole nother thing. could be great sounding, could be awful indistinct mush. it all depends on how you tweak the settings. keep in mind that the manufacturer designed the box for a regular guitar and also designed boxes for Bass guitars. it goes then that a bass effect box will be better. that's subjective. you might find something really cool and useful. you can't hurt the pedal by plugging in.
you can hurt your ears so heed that ' Parental Warning sticker..Extreme Noise '.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1

it's a bit hit or miss, depending upon the type of effect, the needs of the tune and your particular tastes. bass EFX are of course tailored to achieve optimal operation (often meaning lots of impact) in the frequency range (fundamentals and harmonics) and with the input dynamic characteristics (ADSR) of a bass. same for guitar EFX. that doesn't mean they will not work interchangeably, but maybe not as obviously or effectively with the "other" instrument.

you should not have any damage issues, unless -- as dogbite says -- you are really over-cranking amp volume. that's always a risk.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. That all makes sense. I can see how it mainly would be an issue because of the different frequency ranges of each instrument.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

My kid had an effect for bass called "Bassballs" a while ago which had an interesting sound.

Don't ask me to describe it....my memory is shot...I remember I liked it.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, that Baseballs is an envelope filter. I never heard it played that I know of, unless it was used & I didn't know what the effect was. It seems that alot of folks like them. I may have to check it out! 8)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

This is a demo of the Electro-Harmonix Bassballs. Cool pedal!

I checked my guitar pedals with the bass. My chorus/flange is recommended for both and you can get cool sounds. One overdrive sounds very nice and the other sounds very awful. The same for the effects in my multi-fx. Usually the reverb and echo/delay sound well and the 'frequency effects' don't.

ReplyQuote