Notifications
Clear all

Can you simulate feedback?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@iceage)
Topic starter  

For "social" reasons I mainly play through a V-amp into my mixer listening through headphones. Not 100% ideal but it works for me.

The V-amp does the business in terms of creating a live(ish) amp & speakers sound (as if there is actually some air moving). The effects are an added bonus.

One thing I do miss is the feedback I could create with my old Marshall cranked up. Particularly the sustain going into feed back type of sound.

Can this effect be simulated in any way?

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Pinch and Natural Harmonics would be one of the only ways I could of. Basically, feedback is caused by standing close to the amp, the noise from the amp cause the strings to vibrate, without the amp i don't see any way of getting feedback.

Natural harmonics are done by picking a note at certain frets without actually pressing down, with distortion this has an interesting sound. Pinch harmonics is simply picking a note and then almost instantly hitting the string with your picking hand's thumb. It isn't the same as feedback but they have a similar sound.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Feedback is a self-sustaining cycle. The vibrations, from the strings, get amplified and fed to the speaker. The air tremors, created by the speaker, excite the strings, which create vibrations, that are amplified............................
I have an effect, on my Pandora, that is supposed to imitate feedback. It creates it, but doesn't want to let go, like turning away from the amp would do. So, no, I don't think there is any satisfactory way.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

This is purely a hypothetical situation because I don't have an octave pedal , but if you were to use one through an effects loop and slowly mix in the effect with a dry signal , maybe with a compressor for added sustain ... worth a shot , provided you have hundreds of dollars of effects pedals/processors lying around .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Sometimes you can get feedback at lower volumes by pressing the bottom strap pin of the guitar against the body of the amp whle you're playing.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Simulate feedback? yeah, but it's not as much fun.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote