Clear all

Chorus Pedal

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Anyone recommend a good, and more importantly, CHEAP, chorus pedal? My problem is, I only have a modelling amp - Roland cube 30. I love the chorus feature, but I've noticed on certain songs, when I use the chorus feature, I lose a lot of sustain, especially when I move from rhythm to solo - seems like the notes almost cancel each other out. When I play without sustain, I can hold a note - usually using vibrato - for what seems like forever. But when I''m playing with the chorus feature enabled, seems like the notes die in no time at all, even with vibrato. So I'm thinking a chorus pedal (I don't own ANY pedals at all, but I'm also thinking about a fuzzbox for solos) would help - use it for verses, cut it out for the solos. Do they actually work that way? Can you go from using chorus - on a pedal - to using no chorus whatsoever, without physically bending down and turning it off, just by using your foot on a pedal?

Thoughts, anyone?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Vic,

Last month I bought a Fulltone Choralflange, exactly it is not a cheap pedal. Here you will find a demo with a marvelous Tele Thinline. The video has two parts, the second has more sounds.

When I bought it I was looking for chorus pedals and I also checked the BBE MindBender. It is chorus and also vibrato. I liked it in the demos but I didn't when I played, probably I was comparing to the Fulltone. (There are lots of cool demos of BBE but they are not linked from the page currently, search directly in YouTube.) I also check the Marshall (I didn't like it) and a couple of 'vibes', they are modulation effects as well and I didn't search a chorus, I mean, I wanted a pedal as an auto-gift.

The Fulltone is the best (IMHO, of course), it is absolutely clear and curiously I prefer the flanger to the chorus currently, when I bought it I didn't like so much.

I also have a Zoom G2 and it has a nice chorus. Perhaps you could consider any kind of multi-effects. Some of them are not too expensive and you would get several effects in the same box.

Now, all the pedals (at least all the pedals which I know or remember) can be turned off with the foot. These modulation pedals need to be turned off if you don't want the effect. With other effects as the overdrive, you can play with the volume knob in the guitar and if it has enough dynamics (the pedal) you can reduce or completely remove its effect without turn it off. Usually I do it with me overdrive, a BBE tubescreamer clone.

I hope it helps! :D

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

I have a Behringer chorus pedal and it's really pretty good. I have heard better, but I've heard much worse also.

Behringer Chorus Pedal

And yes, you simply turn this pedal on or off anytime you want by stepping on the footswitch.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Behringer pedal looks cheap enought to take a punt on - and it looks easier to use than bending down and adjusting the settins on the amp. I hate having to bend down, adjust the settings AND adjust the volume just by going from rhythm to lead - which is why I'm thinking Fuzz or Distortion pedal. I usually use the Black Panel, Brit Combo and Tweed settings on the cube amp, with the distortion pretty much all the way up - but I want MORE distortion for solos, without having to adjust the settings on the amp, I dont really like the Classic Stack/Metal/Rectifier settings for rhythm even though I like 'em for solos.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

Yeah, the Behringer pedals are a good bang for the buck. People complain about the plastic housing, but it is very thick durable plastic. I haven't had a single problem with them. The only negative about the Behringer pedals is that you have to take a pointed object and push in the hinges that hold the footswitch on and take it off to install batteries. It is really not that hard to do as some claim, but they could have come up with a better design. I always put my pedals on a pedalboard and power them with an adapter, so this is not a problem for me.

You know, they have lots of other pedals including overdrives and distortions in this same price range. The only one I own is the TO800 which is a Tubescreamer clone. I love it. But the other overdrives and distortions get pretty good reviews, you might try them.

Behringer

Go down to about the middle of the page under Behringer Guitar Pedals. Lots to choose from.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have a DOD Icebox Stereo Chorus pedal. it was in the mid price range if I remember correctly.
really nice pedal. shimmery to wobble with one knob. the Depth control is deep, almost delay sounding.
the pedal is not too noisy. it does alter my tone when chained.
I found I like chorus to be:
less is more or a little goes a long way
and if you want more, really overdo do it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Anyone recommend a good, and more importantly, CHEAP, chorus pedal? My problem is, I only have a modelling amp - Roland cube 30. I love the chorus feature, but I've noticed on certain songs, when I use the chorus feature, I lose a lot of sustain, especially when I move from rhythm to solo - seems like the notes almost cancel each other out. When I play without sustain, I can hold a note - usually using vibrato - for what seems like forever. But when I''m playing with the chorus feature enabled, seems like the notes die in no time at all, even with vibrato.

Vic

I'm pretty sure that the reason you can sustain forever without the chorus is because of the nature of feedback . It sustains because of the loop you create between the pickup and your speaker . When you alter the signal with the addition of the chorus effect it interupts the loop by modulating the signal to achieve the chorusing sound . You could try adding a compressor in front of the chorus (between guitar and amp) to add some more sustain . I do this and the sound is impressive , IMHO .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

My Anyone recommend a good, and more importantly, CHEAP, chorus pedal?

Maybe I'm alone here but the Danelectro Cool Cat is a cheap piece of gear and sounds OK to me. I got mine for $20 at a music-go-round (it seemed new) and the first thing after I got it I broke off the "speed" knob (I stepped on it). Not really a big deal because I don't remember ever changing my chorus speed mid-song and I could still rotate it with my thumb if I had to.

Also I don't think they are cheap anymore but I always liked the Carl Martin. Mine's a stereo (side note: don't smoke anything and play through two amps separated by the stereo chorus or delay, unless you enjoy that kind of discombobulation) and I got it for $50 when Mars Music was going out of business or getting bought or whatever.

You can hardly go wrong with a BOSS as far as reliability, but all of my unmodded BOSS pedals require a volume boost whether it's volume on the pedal or needs a booster in the chain. There are some that will tell you that the best chorus pedal you can buy is the BOSS Super Chorus (CH-1?) I won't agree or disagree because it's a matter of opinion :D . Keeley offers some great mods on pedals but then we're getting out of "cheap" territory.

I also agree that somehow behringer keeps coming out with amazingly cheap products and I own a few that meet their unspoken counterparts' standards. I have a big Behringer MX9000 and I' d rather have it than a 24X8 Mackie (meter bridge extra) at less than half the price. I don't have any of their pedals but I would bet they are on par with anything else at twice the price. I just can't speak for the longevity of the behringers cause I haven't owned anything they made for more than a year or two.

If you're really cash-strapped try to find a Danelectro Cool Cat or a Milkshake. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the price or the sound. If you can save up, get an Analogman Chorus! :D

Peace,
Jickory Jackson

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

It's not especially cheap, but the reissue Ibanez CS-9 is excellent; warm and lush, classic 80s chorus sound. Bit of a one-trick pony, but what it does it does exceedingly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRBJv39gTQ

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It's not especially cheap, but the reissue Ibanez CS-9 is excellent; warm and lush, classic 80s chorus sound. Bit of a one-trick pony, but what it does it does exceedingly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRBJv39gTQ
That video also has a Electro Harmonix Holy Gray, a nice reverb.

Probably Vic prefers this video (also for the CS-9)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJG07gpVGQ

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

LOL, yeah I thought of Vic when I saw that too.

BTW, the Fulltone is great; just too pricey for me. That particular Ibanez is pure analog as well, for just over 1/3rd the price of the ChoralFlange.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Like the sound of the CS-9, Nuno - but playing Quo riffs on a STRAT?

Couple of good recommendations there to check out, thanks guys. I like a bit of chorus for riffs, and the chorus on the Cube is pretty good - but it boils down to convenience. I want to be able to switch it off QUICKLY going from rhythm to lead, then get it back to the exact same setting quickly going back to rhythm, so it's beginning to look more and more like I'm going to need a pedal.

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Like the sound of the CS-9, Nuno - but playing Quo riffs on a STRAT?
LOL!

Sorry, it was my fault! :roll:

Vic, some amps have external footswitches... in fact I found this. I don't know if it's compatible with your Cube but if you like the amp sound perhaps it could be an option.

And Roland is Boss, I never heard them but perhaps they sound in the same way (or perhaps they don't).

ReplyQuote