Clear all

Computer based Pre-Amp

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

With the sucess of the Canadian dollar I've decided to look around on ebay for some guitar things to buy, while the price is still good. I don't have an amp anymore, or at least not a decent one, so I'm looking for a simple setup to play my electric with.

I have a decent laptop, that I run through my stereo, and was wondering if I could get some kinda USB based unit to use as a pre-amp. Maybe something with controls on the unit, or control from my laptop, doesn't really matter that much, as long as its half easy to use, and sounds decent.

I don't have room for an actual amp, and living with a nurse and some other students means that our house schedule is really hard to work with for having real loud guitar. So an amp is really where I'm going. I figure I can control the volume easy through my stereo, as no one seems to hear it anyway when its up loud. I also don't like headphones, so anything that would have to use those is out of the question.

Anybody have any good ideas as to what I can look at? I don't have a price point yet, but I'll figure that out when I get some things to try out.

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Paul,

I bought the Audio Kontrol 1 some months ago. Basically it is an external audio card with several inputs and outputs. I bought it because it includes an input for mic with phantom power but also has input for guitars, outputs for PA systems, headphones, USB...

It also includes three software packages (I bought it here, check the software availability if you finally decide go for it). One of them is very interesting because it is a amp emulator. I don't check it deeply but all the most usual amps are included.

Hope it helps! :D

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Check out the Zoom G2. Runs around $99, and comes with a load of ampsims/effects. You can connect it through USB to your laptop no problems.

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

You have got to get the Line 6 guitar port, pod, or tone port. I have the guitar port and love to fiddle with making new amp set ups all the time. They even have an online website to join and get lessons and songs and amp mods and everything :D

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote