Clear all

Danelectro vs Behringer Overdrive

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've read a lot of good things about the Behringer TO800 on these boards. I was wondering if anyone could compare it with the Danelectro Pastrami overdrive. I'm looking at both on Ebay and wondered how they stacked up.

(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

There are some quite good comments on the forum on the TO800 some of which include links to YouTube sound samples. I ordered one yesterday after reading them. Just put TO800 in the search box.

Don't know anything about the Pastrami though (anyway, I'm a vegan :lol: ).

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am the fellow who pushes the TO800, an outstanding overdrive pedal. But I am a big fan of Danelectro pedals as well, I think I own about 10 of them. :D

Don't know about the Pastrami Overdrive, but the older Daddy-O is a great overdrive pedal. It is extremely versatile with 3 bands of EQ, you can get almost any tone out of it. I have heard the newer Danelectro Fab Overdrive (small white plastic pedal). It actually sounded very good, but not as good or versatile as the Daddy-O.

But Dano pedals are pretty good, I've never had one break down on me which I cannot say for many more expensive "name" pedals I've owned.

Go to Harmony Central and read the reviews. You have to ignore the posts that say "it's the best ever" and the posts that say "it's the worst ever". The reviews inbetween will give you a good idea of the quality of this pedal.

Behringer TO800 reviews

Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive reviews

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes. I went ahead and got the Behringer based mostly on your recommendation and some Youtube vids.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think you'll like it, especially if you use a tube amp. I've never heard it through a solid state. This pedal is pretty versatile itself, it can go from very low breakup to fairly high gain. I actually use almost the same settings as that Aussie with Gain and Volume about 12 o'clock (50%) and Tone about 1 o'clock. I usually use it with humbucking guitars. This pedal sounds very good at low volume, but get your amp's volume up and you will hear this pedal really sing. Great sustain and harmonics. It always has a very smooth tone. It also sounds good if you use another pedal for your rhythm overdrive and use the TO800 for a solo boost. Really cuts through a mix.

First time I used this pedal was really funny, I used it at a gig. Lane our other guitarist came over and asked me what I was doing different. He bent down and studied my pedalboard. I was really laughing to myself. Lane has good gear and tone himself, but he wanted to know what I was using. I think I'll buy him one at Christmas. And this price you can't lose. And it is really quite durable. It may be made of plastic, but it's heavy duty plastic. The knobs on top are fragile, but the rest of the pedal is very solid. I have not had any quality issues with it at all and I use it every day.

When you get it, play it for a few days and let me know what you think.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Will do Wes. I think I'm going to get the Dano EQ you've been recommending too.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

BgDaddy316

The Dano Fish and Chips EQ is excellent. I use two on my pedalboard, one to shape my tone, and the other for a volume boost for solos. Great pedal. If you ever hear a high squeal from the high frequencies, the pedal is not broken, this simply means the battery is going dead. I use a power supply to power all my pedals, so not a problem.

Putting a battery in Behringer pedals is a little difficult, you have to press in on the hinges that hold the foot pedal cover and pull the foot pedal off. So you have to use a ball point pen or something with a point to do this. To put it back on is easier, place the cover over one hinge, then press in on the other and snap the foot cover back in place. Not the greatest design. :roll:

I was using the TO800 this morning with my Tele to simply give the guitar more fullness. I had Drive (gain) turned all the way low, as well as Tone. Sounded great, I was playing with a clean tone only. But you know how thin a Tele can sound, this gave it a real fullness, took out the "tinsel" type tone. So this pedal can be used in many ways. I often use it the same way at a gig, leaving it on all the time to thicken up my clean guitar tone. The Tone control works very well on this pedal.

Have fun with your new pedals.

ReplyQuote