Notifications
Clear all

Defining my amp sound

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@btiazza)
Topic starter  

Just want to know if anyone can help me with defining my amp sound.

I have a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100. Love the amp, but want to get a bit more originality out of it, kind of make it my own.

What are the best ways to do this i.e. pedals, rack units, tweaking etc.

The style of music i am playing varies from Alternative to metal to grunge to hardcore. A few examples: The Dillinger Escape Plan, Isis, Neurosis, Converge, Cog (AUS), Karnivool (AUS), Mastodon, Tool etc.

I love the low end distorion sound i get out of my amp (i think the seymours have a helping hand with it), also the fullness of the distorion sound, great for alternative/hard rock such as Karnivool, COG, Tool etc. And seeing as the music i write and play chops and changes between styles, sometimes i want to have a real edge to the distortion, sort of metal esq (for alot of tremelo parts and heavy syncopated rhythm parts).

Can anyone help me???

Cheers,

Az

(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Hi,

From what I've been reading it's best to start with a clean tone and work from there, but I don't think there's any hard and fast rules. I can't stop reading this article on the subject of tone in general:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Apr/The_Tone_Checklist_Eight_Steps_to_Tone.aspx

You may also want to do a search for amp settings for the Marshall; I did that for my Vox AD30 and found a great site devoted that very thing.

Good luck!

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@btiazza)
Topic starter  

Dude,

Awesome article. One of the best pieces of information i have found on the internet in a long time. Thanks alot.

I will search on some Marshall amp settings.

Thanks again, it really was helpfull.

If anyone has any other ideas, send 'em my way please.

Az

ReplyQuote
(@raistx)
Trusted Member

Thats a great article.

I'd recomend it, especially for us beginners.

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

I stumbled into the website during a random search and they had a free year subscription going. I was thinking electronic when I signed up but its a full-fledged monthly magazine. I REALLY like their focus on the gear first, artists second. I'm still a classic metal fan, but would rather not walk around with "Artist X" mugging for the camera on the magazine cover. Guess I'm past the poster days... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

Ironically, I find myself in search of amp settings. Lately my love for The Rolling Stones has been rekindled, and the first song I've decided to learn is Gimme Shelter. Fretplay has a tab but I either wasn't playing it correctly or just plain don't like the way it sounded so I worked out my own version. What I'd like to see is amp settings others use to approximate that classic sound. I've worked out my own that I like, but just curious to see what others use.

ReplyQuote