Clear all

Delay pedal advice

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am looking at getting my first delay pedal(sort of). I have a digitech multi effects processor that has delay in it but I want a separate delay pedal. And I don't use the digitech with my amp much anyways, its become more of a headphone amp.
After reading up on delays, it looks like the main choice is either analog or digital delay. Is an analog worth the extra cash? I was looking at the MXR carbon copy and the Ibanez AD-9. I see some digital delays that are less but how "pure" do they really sound?
This sort of reminds me of the tube/solid state amp thing.....
Opinions............

(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

I think maybe it's not as simple as digital vs. analog "sound" as there are other differences. Analog delays usually offer shorter maximum delay times, so if you need a long delay time then digital may be the way to go. Also the analog repeats are not as crisp, and each one degrades further and gets a bit mushy; many think this adds a natural warmth to the analog tone. You can set very precise delay times with some digital pedals, or can use a tap tempo control, but that's not so easy with analog. A digital pedal that simulates analog sounds (Line 6 comes to mind) might give you the best of both worlds.

Why do you want one separate from your multi-fx pedal?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

check out the DD 20 by BOSS. it has various settings to create all kinds of delays. it may have one of the longest delay times.
it can Loop , it has an Analog Tape setting and has Tap tempo. that is cool because you can sync the delay adding another layer to the sound.
it is spendy but I think well worth it.
with any delay pedal you decide on get a AC power thingy for it. delays eat batteries like candy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here I go again, check out the Behringer DD400. I own one and love it, although it took me a little time to figure out just how good it is. Behringer doesn't even advertise that it has tap delay, but it does. You just hold the pedal down for a few seconds till the blue light comes on and then tap the speed you want. Works perfect.

Behringer DD400

The guys in my band, all playing over 30 years were very impressed with this pedal. Don't let price or name fool you.

Check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmS69mn8MHE

Mine makes no noise at all, I am more than happy with it. And you will save plenty.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I used an AD-9 for years -- a simple workhorse, and still have it. lately, I use two Line 6 modeling delay pedals: DL-4 (big, heavy, $$, sometimes needs resetting, but one of the best when mastered; also includes 14/28 second looper) and Echo Park (great for gigging, compact and most of the DL-4 functionality except looping). my opinion of Line 6 has varied over the years, but they def have delays down cold.

one thing about the AD-9: it's simple. if you are new to delay, it's a good place to start.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

check this out, new from digitech. found it on ebay at $300 can't find it at MF yet.
http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/TimeBender.php

video demo from NAMM 09' http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/Flash_Demo/TimeBenderYouTube.php

10 Delay Types:
Digital
Analog
Variable Speed Tape
Moving Head Tape
Dynamic (ducking) Digital
Dynamic (ducking) Analog
Dynamic (ducking) Tape
Time Warp (wide delay time modulation)
Reverse
Envelope (chopping delay)

20 Second looper
Unique Strum Tempo lets you create delay “rhythms”

100 Intelligent Harmonies on delays creating new delay tones

Full-time tone control on delay

Multiplier to change from ♪, ♫, etc.

Tap Tempo

4 Memory settings

BPM or Millisecond delay read out

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I took Wes' advice and ordered a behringer DD400. Its just too good a deal for 30 bucks and I am only an at home guitarist so far anyway. I even added that fish and chips EQ from danelectro for another 30 bucks and got free shipping! Can't wait till these come in later this week. I'll post some feedback on what I think of them soon.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

enjoy it -- starting with a straightforward pedal is probably the best way to master delay effects.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Budysr

Yep, where else can you get a good delay for $30. Now, take some time to experiment with this pedal like that video. I wasn't overly impressed with the DD400 when I first got it, but after a few weeks of experimenting with it I found it could produce an amazing variety of delays. The Level knob on the far left makes a tremendous difference in the delays you get.

So turn all the knobs all over and you will be surprised how good a pedal this really is. I get excellent sound from mine with no noise issues whatsoever.

I posted our band practicing this week. Check out 1000 Miles from Nowhere and you will hear the Behringer delay.

http://thedazz.blip.tv/#1973679

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, I have had a couple days to fool around with this thing, and I really like it. I had a certain sound in mind before I bought it that I could get with my digitech multi-effect processor and I got it now. Had to spend some time with the knobs, but I have a nice little slap echo(I think thats what you call it) on my sound now which is want I wanted it for. Kinda like a "reverb extension"

The DD400 is worth every bit of 30 bucks and Wes is right, it has tons of delays and options.
On a side note, that danelectro EQ is sweet too. I have been able to tweak my tone better than what the blues jr.s controls will do. Got a nice "throaty" tone now :note2: :note1: :mrgreen:
Rock on........

ReplyQuote