Clear all

Delay pedal opinions

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've decided to add a delay pedal to my collection but I'm not sure which one I want. I'm looking at the Rocktron Cyborg delay, Boss DL-6, and the Line 6 Tone Core delay. My requirements are tap tempo and to be less than $150. Does anyone have any opinions on the pedals I've named, or pedals I haven't? Also, the longer delay time the better. Thanks.

Dan

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have an Echo Park (Line6 ToneCore model) that I bought to replace my flakey Line-6 DL-4. It is now my main delay pedal, even though I fixed the DL-4 and also have an Ibanez AD9. The Echo Park is not as nice (or big and heavy) as my DL-4, which also includes a looping function (miss that), but the EchoPark has a great selection of delay types and emulates well the various technologies (digital (hah!), analog, tape). My only problem has been the tiny model/mode selection knob -- sometimes I am off by one in my intended selection.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I've decided to add a delay pedal to my collection but I'm not sure which one I want. I'm looking at the Rocktron Cyborg delay, Boss DL-6, and the Line 6 Tone Core delay. My requirements are tap tempo and to be less than $150. Does anyone have any opinions on the pedals I've named, or pedals I haven't? Also, the longer delay time the better. Thanks.

Do you plan on doing sound on sound loops in a live situation? If you're not, then super long delay times aren't all that useful. Also, a lot of people feel the "dirty" decay of an analog delay sounds better in rock and blues. I'd take the time to check out the MXR Carbon Copy and other analog delays also.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Moonrider, no I won't be using the pedal for any shows. I was considering the MXR pedal after the great reviews I read, but I think it's a little too 'bare bones' for me. Since I can't really afford a bunch of different delays, I'd like the one I get to be capable of several different sounds.
Gnease, other than the looping function and the tiny selection knob, are you making any other compromises going from the Line 6 DL-4 to the Echo Park pedal?
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The DL-4 has four preselects which is great for performance switching. Only the looping cannot be selected from the presets With only on-off (no presets) I have to spend more time "on the floor" adjusting the Echo Park from setting to setting between songs (when that small knob issue becomes apparent). The DL-4 also has more adjustments to tweak-in the varous effects, but also goes for about $250 street new ... though it sort of seems as if Line6 should be blowing them out on sale sometime, as it's a pretty old product for them. But then it's also one of of their most highly praised products. Echo Park is substantially cheaper. I now consider the Echo Park my on-the-go delay pedal (and keep the Ibanez AD9 as the back-up).

Other:

DL-4 requires a special, higher-voltage power supply ... sold separately. E-P is a standard 9V pedal
Both work on battery power, but the DL-4 requires a lot of C-cells.
DL-4 is big and heavy. E-P is small and heavy. Both seem more heavy duty than Boss, Digitech ...
DL-4 has "gone crazy" in the middle of a gig and required a "hard reset," which unfortunately I didn't learn to do until much later. No such problems with the E-P ... yet

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Gnease, thanks a lot for your input. I may have to go with the Echo Park. I've been going back and forth between it and the Boss DL-6 for a couple months now. On a side note...the picture you're using in your message box looks really familiar. Was it used in a guitar magazine recently?

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

guitar mag -- that would be funny. don't think so.

just to make sure there's no confusion: I was comparing to the Line6 DL-4, not the Boss DL-6. IIRC, the Echo Park is a lower cost version of the DL-4.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

No confusion at all, I knew you were comparing the Line 6 pedals. And I know the picture question seems kind of odd. I was reading a magazine with a lot of articles about boutique pedals and do it yourself stuff and there was a pic of a guy in it that looked a little like yours. I've seen some of your insanely technical posts about electronics and thought just maybe it was you. Mistaken identity aside, thanks for the responses!

Dan

ReplyQuote