Clear all

Difference between Fuzz and Overdrive?

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@aircooled)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking at the Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer (overdrive) and the classic 108 Fuzz. I'm wondering what the major difference in sound is going to be between these two. Would it be worth getting one over the other or do they both have their strong points and it would be worth picking the two up together?

Thanks.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Perhaps someone will know, and be able to explain, but I just look at it as soft and hard clipping of the top of the sine wave produced by sound, as seen on an oscilloscope. Fuzz clips the top off of the wave, like the top of your hair - you can have just a little, a flat top, brush cut, complete shave, whatever? :lol: Fuzz is a little more distortion. I guess you can look it up, but the secret might be to google "clipping" sound waves. And diodes do that, like in a radio.

Overdive has the component of pre-amp or pre-gain, to pre-amp the signal and magnify it into a specific amount of energy or electrical signal, usually dirtiness or muddiness, before it goes through the true, or post-amp phase. That's just me saying that, in simplicity.

I have the TS-9 in memory of SRV and his legacy & sound, and the TS-5 and TS-7 for variety, also Jimi's Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face - looks like a round red land mine. That fuzz is warm. The Ibanez distortion, same as Maxxon's is mild and manageable, and other true overdives can be anything from wild to unruly, ie. Death Metal and so on.

My vote is for manageable and usable distortion, not for shredding, but something that you can add vocals to, meaning, play and sing at the same time, also solo a bit and sound 'enhanced'. That would be be in TS9, formerly TS-108 territory.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Ohh and oops he does it again. I've over-answered the question because I didn't understand.

Aircooled, you want to know the difference between the Ibanez TS-9 and it's predecessor, the classic and more expensive/rare TS-108, also a Tube Screamer.

The 9 can be modded by yourself, or Robert Keeley to be a 108. I think the 108 is sharper, has more attack, definitely more effect, and drives a little harder. Reviews can be found also. :D

http://www.robertkeeley.com/

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Fuzz and overdrives are different tones. On fuzz, think on Jimi Hendrix, he used that effect a lot. Overdrives are much smooth tone, they try to imitate the overdrive in the tube amps. Stevie Ray Vaughan used a TS9, the sound is cleaner.

You could use the overdrive, the fuzz or both simultaneously. For example, sometimes the overdrive is used as a booster for solos. All it will be good if it sounds good.

Try to search in YouTube some videos on these effect, there are a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@aircooled)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Some real good explanations, thanks guys! I kind of lied a little because I actually got the two for Christmas and at first, it's a little difficult when you're messing with them to figure out the differences. I just didn't want to sound like I didn't appreciate these but I wanted to make sure they were really worth keeping the two. I'm still new to guitars and very new to pedals and I'm not going to try to hide that fact but these are turning out to be pretty fun things to play with. I think I had about 5 minutes of tinkering with them before I posted that :P.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

You will need some time to check out all the configurations!

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Very nice effects Aircooled. Ooh-wee they are SO sweet and will be great! 8)

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I have the TS9 and love it.

I agree with the other posters in that it has a smoother clean overdrive sound as opposed to a dirty distortion. Great for rocking out the blues. I do tend to channel my inner Stevie Ray with it kicked on.

When I want a raunchier crunch I have just been using the the "drive" or "more drive" channel on my Hot Rod Deluxe.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member

The type of fuzz you have usually is enjoyed more running it on top of a slightly distorted tone. You could try stacking it into your Tube Screamer, with the Tube Screamer set for a very slight distortion and the 108's two knobs full up. Also, check out what happens when you roll back on your guitar's volume knob with the 108 set for maximum fuzz. You now have two of the coolest tones in rock history, and everything in between! :mrgreen:

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member

I forgot that your Fuzz has a buffer switch. I believe to get guitar volume knob trick to work you should have the buffer set to "off". But you'll know you have it right if the sounds gets less distorted and sparkly cleanish.

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ohh and oops he does it again. I've over-answered the question because I didn't understand.

Aircooled, you want to know the difference between the Ibanez TS-9 and it's predecessor, the classic and more expensive/rare TS-108, also a Tube Screamer.

The 9 can be modded by yourself, or Robert Keeley to be a 108. I think the 108 is sharper, has more attack, definitely more effect, and drives a little harder. Reviews can be found also. :D

http://www.robertkeeley.com/
you're thinking of the ts 808. you had it right the first time.

ReplyQuote