Notifications
Clear all

Distortion pedals: A basic question

21 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Shhhh! Don't anyone tell him about Musicians Friend online store!

Oops! :oops:

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

You are hereby banned from the premises of all Guitar Center's, Sam Ash Store's, and any Mom and Pop local store. If you are caught trespassing, the police will be called take you into custody for violation of this proclamation. Beware of your GAS!

Too late. I RAN to guitar center today for a set of strap locks. I was playing with the guitar last night and the strap popped off and hit the tiled for with a nice twangy thud. Thankfully the semi-hollow body guitar didn't peal open like a 2 minute egg. I ain't takin' that kinda chance no more. So I got a set of strap locks....YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE COPPER!! :twisted:

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

At least it didn't happen to you at the beginning of a gig.

Not, uh, not that I've ever, uh, experienced such a thing, uh, happening to myself, or anything. :roll: :oops:

Yes kids, straplocks ARE essential purchases.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

There are many pros who do not use distortion pedals (Neil Young, Angus Young....), but there are probably many more that do.

It is all personal taste really and your personal style. Metal guitarists will use high gain distortion pedals to get long sustain for that style. A Blues guitarist will often simply crank an amp and use that alone.

If you like your amp's distortion, stay with that. It doesn't matter what others think.

One pedal I would consider however is an EQ pedal. An EQ pedal can help you dial in that "perfect tone" that you can never quite get with your amp's tone controls. You can tighten up distortion, get rid of mud in your tone, whatever. So I would recommend a good EQ pedal to anyone.

Effects are the same. Some use many, some do not. I think a good place to start with effects is a good chorus pedal, this will thicken up your tone a bit and is probably the most popular effect ever. Many like a good phase shifter, and a good delay pedal can be very useful as well. These are probably the first effects to look at.

Go down to your local music store, most have a display set up where you can test various effects. Sit down a try a few and see if you like them.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

At least it didn't happen to you at the beginning of a gig.

Not, uh, not that I've ever, uh, experienced such a thing, uh, happening to myself, or anything. :roll: :oops:

Yes kids, straplocks ARE essential purchases.

And a wise investment. I was lucky my $400 guitar didn't become a lot of cheap kindling. Now all my electrics have strap locks.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

I got tired of dealing with most of the strap locks out there, with things like installation, stripped-out strap button holes, hardware failures, etc etc. I've ended up using a dandy little Dunlop strap lock that's cheap and requires no installation and/or custom strap hardware. $2 a set of two, or $1.25 each. Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/SL1S.htm

I've used these for years and years with all types of guitars and straps and have never ever had any problem or complaint. By the way, Elderly Instruments is a superb dealer here in Michigan. Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2