Clear all

Distortion pedals into modelling amp

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have any thoughts on this. Was thinking about maybe adding a distortion pedal to the front of my AD30 VT but not sure how a modelling amp might react to a pedal, which usually is used to push a valve amp further?. Nothing special, maybe a DS1, Hothead or Marshall Guvnor, just to add an extra option to the 3 available on the amp. So, will it sound rubbish or not? I dont use many other FX, just delay or reverb on the amp usually (or a bit of rotary speaker when the mood takes me).

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have a DS-1 that i tried using with a amp modeler..Never did work out very well. The sound always sounded to muddy.

So now I either use just the amp modeler or the pedal

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

I have that same amp. I have a Bad Monkey and Fab Distortion. Both pedals work well with the cleaner amp selections; like Boutique Clean to AC30.
The Fab is a very cheap pedal ($20 CAD) and is a lot of fun. It can be a little noisy when settings are dimed. The BM is a very nice pedal also.
The pedals add a little more control.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Both overdrive and distortion seem to work almost as well into my Cube 30 as my tube amps. The overdrive thickens up the '30's tone a bit. I first noticed this somewhat serendipitously while using my Boss RC-10 in front of the Cube 30. It sounded better than without. Upon checking it out, I found just a bit of extra gain helped out the Cube 30's tone nicely. Shortly after that, I bought a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive to use pretty much all the time.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Distortion on distortion does not usually sound too good, although there are exceptions. I read once that the fantastic distortion on Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum was achieved by daisy chaining two Fuzz boxes together. One of the best distortions ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ-qdScZXuY

I would look into a boost pedal or overdrive pedal. I have recommended the Behringer TO800 many times. This is a great sounding overdrive designed to copy the original Ibanez Tubescreamer. This pedal sounds great as a boost, very smooth tone. I would recommend it to anyone, it is almost impossible to get bad tone out of it. :D

Behringer TO800

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Wes, you wouldn't happen to know where I could find little sound clips of what some of these pedals sound like, would you? I would like to look into that Behringer (have a Behringer amp, and I love it) to plug into my dads older fender amp (probably about a 70's era). Might be a cool site idea to have a database of amps and pedals that people can submit clips to... Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Falcon1

You can find lots of clips on almost any kind of gear on You Tube. Here is a good video of Mr. Brownstone played with a Behringer TO800. I'm tellin' ya, this is a great sounding pedal, always super smooth tone. :twisted:

It is difficult to get a bad tone with this pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G62WWki3gIE

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Thanks Wes. I will have to look into that pedal once I get back to the States :D

ReplyQuote