Notifications
Clear all

Double Checking My Chain

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Below is a picture of my effects chain...YES it is a VERY long chain but believe it or not I do tinker with all of these at one time or another. Obviously I use certain ones all the time like the compressor, Amp Selector, EQ, Tuner (Dan-OMatic), etc. My question is does this look like they are in a good order (read picture left to right & top to bottom)? Everything sounds good but I'm just looking for some tips. I know the first one most of you will give is to shorten the chain...not happening anytime soon. The only "concern" is that the Crybaby lowers the volume a bit when activated. My Dan-O-Wah did the samething even when the chain was smaller. Is this normal for wah pedals? Any tips would be appreciated.

On a side note...I am VERY fortunate to have all these effects plus all the other gear I own. I don't want anyone to think I am "bragging". I tend to completely dive in whenever I try something new...I did the same when I forst got into computers. About 98% of my gear was purchased used from eBay so to answer your question...NO I am not rich! (I WISH!!). I have gotten some VERY good deals and always shop for the best deal I can.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Are all those in the chain at the same time?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Yes but they are not all onat the same time...usually only 3-4 at the most are on at the same time.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Yes but they are not all onat the same time...usually only 3-4 at the most are on at the same time.

A number of those pedals don't have true bypasses. IF they don't and are plugged in, you're degrading your signal . . .

That said, what's the post about? I don't see a question . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Do you like how your setup sounds right now? because if you do then that's great, but if there's something you don't like then you should switch it, that's how I used to setup my gear. But right now I play my guitars through my Digitech RP80 and an amp or speakers, so no confusion there. If you want some ideas to get other sounds, try putting the wah pedal right before the guitar in the setup, which will give you a different sound. Also, I think you could try putting the compressor after distortion, same with the E.Q and modulation pedals.

Again though, if you're happy with the way the modulation, E.Q, distortion, compression and other pedals sound, I don't see a point in changing them around.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

A number of those pedals don't have true bypasses. IF they don't and are plugged in, you're degrading your signal . . .

That said, what's the post about? I don't see a question . . .

With that many effects in the chain, the signal would be *more* degraded with all "true bypass" pedals in it. Assuming a 12 inch patch cord between each effect, turning them all of with all "true bypass" pedals would have the same effect as adding 19 feet of guitar cord. If he's like me and uses a 15 or 20 foot cord from the guitar and a 10 or 15 foot cord from the last pedal to the amp, that would give an effective cable run of 50 to 70 feet! That would totally destroy the high frequency output of the guitar pickups.

As it is, the buffered I/O in those pedals probably keep him from losing a good chunk of top end. Even so, Mike, if you have to have that many effects plugged up at one time, I'd consider adding a buffer amp before *and* after the pedals to reduce the impedance loading on the guitar's pickups, and the amp input.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Also, I think you could try putting the compressor after distortion, same with the E.Q and modulation pedals.

Again though, if you're happy with the way the modulation, E.Q, distortion, compression and other pedals sound, I don't see a point in changing them around.

The compressor IS after the distortion pedals Steve...I have a few distortion pedals. As for sound to me it sounds great. I knew when I posted this that everyone would freak out about the length of the chain. That doesn't appear to be a problem here. I was just asking to see if the order should be changed. I checked out several websites and of course they all gave different order...which I guess was expected since this is an individual thing. I was kind of confused is the flanger should be in fron't/behind the phaser, chorus in front/behind the echo etc. I know the general groupings that all timing effects are at the end but what order should THEY be in? Should the Noise Suppressor be the last one on in the chain?

I should have been more clear with my questions so I apologize for that.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Effects can be anywhere, try putting the phaser in front of the flanger, then try putting the flanger in front of the phaser, then see which sound you like better and go from there: I personally like putting my chain like this:

Guitar -- Wah-wah -- Distortion -- Amp

But that doesn't mean you have to put it that way.

In my opinion you should just explore the different possiblities and see what you like best, although you have ALOT of pedals so that might take a while, but it'll probably be best.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm not a fan of multi-FX boxes in general, but if you really use all of these, consider switching over to a high-end programmable multi-FX unit, such as a Vox Tonelab SE. The Tonelab FX are high quality and you can create different orders for the FX as required, plus access the combinations in a much more quickly and easily.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I'm not a fan of multi-FX boxes in general, but if you really use all of these, consider switching over to a high-end programmable multi-FX unit, such as a Vox Tonelab SE. The Tonelab FX are high quality and you can create different orders for the FX as required, plus access the combinations in a much more quickly and easily.

Actually I am happy with what I have plus my V-Amp2...the amount of improvements in not worth the extra money to me.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Man, there's some great stuff in that collection. Your gig bag must weigh a ton.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Man, there's some great stuff in that collection. Your gig bag must weigh a ton.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It probably would if I gigged but this is all for home use. For some reason I have this thing for distortion pedals. I have 5 different distortions PLUS 2 overdrive pedals. It's amazing all the variations of distortion there are!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You should try the amp modellers made by Korg and Zoom (cheaper than Boss) - more distortions than you'd believe and there's bucketloads of them on e-bay.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

You should try the amp modellers made by Korg and Zoom (cheaper than Boss) - more distortions than you'd believe and there's bucketloads of them on e-bay.

Actually the V-Amp2 had greaqt distortions...the presets need tweeking but once you do they sound great!

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Mike what type of amp do you own?

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2