Clear all

ds-1 mod..

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone tried the Rectifier / Tri-Gain mod for this? I should be getting mine back in the mail soon!

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The Allums mod? Dali Lima had one that he sold recently; iirc it was the Rectifier but not with the tri switch. Hopefully he'll add some info.

I've been thinking about doing this as well, but can't decide if I should do just the Rectifier mod (looks pretty easy) or the whole thing (looks more complicated). Seems like the 3-way has some nice functionality.

Where did you have it done?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm having it done by CMATMods.

I wish I was more technically inclined - but this is still cheaper than buying a fancier distortion pedal

http://www.cmatmods.com/Portal/

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've heard he does good work. Post a review and some sound samples when you get it! 8)

ReplyQuote
 Jip
(@jip)
Trusted Member

I can tell you i liked the stock DS-1 over the Keeley modded one.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Does anyone know if/what the difference is between the Rectifier/Tri-Gain mod spoken of here, the Keeley mods, and the Analog Man mods? It seems to me that they are all mid level boosts?

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Does anyone know if/what the difference is between the Rectifier/Tri-Gain mod spoken of here, the Keeley mods, and the Analog Man mods? It seems to me that they are all mid level boosts?

Dan

Most of the cap and resistor changes are to smooth out the overall sound, expand the usability of the tone control, increase the bass response and offset the fizziness at higher gain settings. Probably a slight mid-boost too. As far as the distortion goes, my understanding of the Allums 3-position mod is:

1 - "Rectifier" position - Richer and more aggressive than stock, supposedly very Satriani-esque

2 - one clipping diode replaced with an LED for less aggressive, almost tube-overdrive tone (but still in the distortion camp), more sensitive to playing dynamics

3 - both clipping diodes replaced with LEDs for a volume boost, not much distortion, but intended to drive a preamp hard

No idea on the keeley or analog man stuff, but I've heard others say what Jip says.

ReplyQuote