Epi Valve Junior and Pedals

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Good evening all,

I'm looking for a little assistance please in an area I know absolutely nothing about. :oops: I've done a bit of googling but with limited success so I thought I'd ask on here now.

I'm getting a Grainger Valve Five (an Epi Valve Junior with a different name badge) for xmas from my folks. Although it's an awesome amp as it stands, I'm looking for a few bits to tweak it a bit so that I can achieve some sounds that the amp won't be able to produce as standard. As such I shall need to venture into the realm of pedals!

First question is how do pedals interact with this amp? Do they literally just go inline between the guitar and the amplifier? Or does the amp need to be modified in some way to give it an effects loop? I'm intending to get a reverb pedal and a distortion pedal for now . . .

This brings me onto the second question, what is a reccomended distortion pedal for getting a similar sort of tone that David Gilmour has for his Pulse Comfortably Numb solo parts? I know that sounds a bit specific, but I can't think of any other way of describing it! Basically a nice overdrive but not thin or scratchy like a metal overdrive . . . :?:

Thanks everyone. :-)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Yashi,

According to the guy over at "GILMOURISH.COM" here's what Sir Gilmour used -

COMFORTABLY NUMB
studio
Stratocaster, bridge pickup
- rhythm 1; acoustic guitar (high strung)
- rhythm 2; acoustic guitar (played by Lee Ritenour)
- solo; Muff and Electric Mistress through a HiWatt and a Yamaha rotating speaker
- rhythm/solo; Muff

live
Stratocaster, bridge pickup
- solo; Big Muff, Electric Mistress and delay
Note: Although the Yamaha rotating speakers was on for most songs, it's a dominating effect during the solo.
-------------------------------

Before I looked this up I was going to say the Big Muff pedal.. he loves that pedal... and some vibrato.. hence the rotating speaker. I think you could pull it off with some vibrato or trem slowed way down.

Notice the difference in the LIVE vs Studio Settings....hope that helps?

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Just plug your pedals right into the amp's input = guitar - effects - amp.

I have the Epi Valve JR, and I use a compressor, overdrive, chorus, and digital delay for reverb, (soon to be getting a ToneCore Verbvilla reverb pedal).

Have fun with your new toys! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. :-)

I shall do some further research into distortion pedals and hopefully find somewhere to try them out!

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote