Notifications
Clear all

FX blending pedals?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mordred478)
Topic starter  

I am trying to figure out how to use volume pedals or something similar to blend in each effect in my chain. I know, for example, that Steve Morse uses, I think, three Ernie Ball volume pedals on his pedalboard to accomplish this with the respective effects he uses. I realize this may require a mixer that has individual send/returns so that each effect/volume pedals is connected to a send/return. I am quite confused about all this, so if anyone can give me a simple explanation of a setup that would enable me to blend in/out each effect using pedals please do. Thanks!

M

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Do you want them all the same level or do you want to be able to change the level of the effect at different times

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The rig that Morse uses has some custom-built components in it. here is his rig.

It appears to me that the volume pedals are not connected in the traditional way, but rather act as remote faders for the custom built mixer in his rack.

Now, how you might do it...
Try something like: split your signal (with an impedance matching/pre-amp black box of some sort) and feed the input of each effect box independently, then connect the output of each effect to it's own channel of a mixer (thru a volume pedal, if you want to be able to mix handsfree).

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@mordred478)
Topic starter  

Do you want them all the same level or do you want to be able to change the level of the effect at different times

I want to be able to change the level of each effect independently at any time, using the volume pedals as remote faders, as suggested by the other chap.

M

ReplyQuote
(@mordred478)
Topic starter  

It appears to me that the volume pedals are not connected in the traditional way, but rather act as remote faders for the custom built mixer in his rack.
Now, how you might do it...
Try something like: split your signal (with an impedance matching/pre-amp black box of some sort) and feed the input of each effect box independently, then connect the output of each effect to it's own channel of a mixer (thru a volume pedal, if you want to be able to mix handsfree).

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, Morse uses some custom gear, I've studied it on his site. I think there's no question that a mixer is a necessity. Your description of the volume pedals as 'remote faders' was very helpful to me, that's really the idea. Now, as a rookie with little technical knowledge, could you explain what you mean by an impedence matching/pre-amp black box? Thanks.

M

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Now, as a rookie with little technical knowledge, could you explain what you mean by an impedance matching/pre-amp black box?

That would probably need to be made up by someone who knows which end of a soldering iron to hold.

The problem that said black box solves, is that you don't want the effects in one path interfering with the others, nor do you want the combination of all of the effects decreasing the overall signal level available to all.

I did some searching for an off-the-shelf product, but I came up blank for anything more than a 2 channel version.

Another option might be to use a passive mixer backwards as a splitter. (plug your guitar into the "output", and use the "inputs" to feed your effects)

I looked at Morse's custom gear on a couple of web pages, and they talk about buffer amps between the guitar and the various divided signal paths. Those would likely add a small amount of amplification to counter losses in the splitting process, provide impedance matching, and isolation.

If you try the passive mixer idea, you might want to put a pedal like an EQ or something with a bit of gain (overdrive set to a conservative level?) between the guitar and the splitter.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Sounds like a good fit for a "personal mixer", which is what they're calling small stripped-down analog mixers these days. I found one that looks like a likely fit for what you have in mind made by ART called the "Power Mix 1".

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PowerMix1/

Another piece of gear that might be helpful is another ART unit called "Tube MP Project Series USB". This unit would be able to boost the signal level to drive multiple effects while isolating the input, keeping the impedance level correct. Connect the instrument to the input, and run the output through a simple passive splitter with one input jack connected to 4 output jacks with a 68K to 100K ohm 1/8th-watt resistor on each output jack to the input jack to minimize impedance loading between the outputs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMPpsUSB/

HTH, HAND and all that.

Strat

[EDIT] Hey, I found this also by Rane. Looks very interesting/promising as it functions as either a mixer or a splitter/buffer. They even have a sample block diagram of using it to drive multiple guitar effects. Be warned, though. This unit sells for over $350 USD!

http://www.rane.com/note108.html

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM26S/

[/EDIT]

ReplyQuote