Skip to content
FX Pedals to Achiev...

Notifications
Clear all

FX Pedals to Achieve Satriani Clean Tones?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Jip
(@jip)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What pedals does Satriani use live or in the studio to get his wide stereo sound when utilizing a clean tone? I am familiar with his Gear section on his web site but he does not officially endorse any fx pedals that I know of. I am looking for a pedal primarily for recording.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

He uses a couple of delay pedals (Boss in his live rig, I believe Chandler in studio), one set to a medium delay and the other set long. Dual delay is a big part of his sound; gives a lot of depth.

One of his recording techniques involves using multiple mics at various distances/angles from his cabs, with each one as a different track. The he mixes them with different EQ settings, and I'm sure a whole bunch of other tweaks. But multi-tracking is probably what gives the wide stereo sound you're talking about.

Keep in mind that getting his studio sound is going to be much more difficult than getting close to his live sound!

As far as endorsing fx pedals, of course there is his signature line from Vox, which includes the Satchurator (based on his Keeley-modified Boss DS1) and a soon-to-be-released delay pedal. And rumor of a signature wah pedal too.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote