GFX1

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@butchc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:D
Does anyone have any experience with this pedal I just bought? Seems good but not sure on its settings and what not?

(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I love this unit, Butch, have used it live and for recording for nearly two years now, and I can tell you it grows on you!

Settings? General observations - the EQ is effective but really strange to get used to... follow the manual (you can download one from the Zoom site if you didn't get one in English with the unit - mine came with a Japanese manual :shock: ) and listen - you'll get the hang of it eventually...

Gentle with the gain - a little goes a long way...

The speaker emulations are essential running direct into a mixer, an MTR, or a computer with a soft studio setup, but they generally do not improve things going into a 'real' guitar amp. Switch them out and just use the ZNR (noise gate) on its own.

Patches - the factory ones are pretty unsubtle. You can get far more realistic tones backing off on most of the parameters, esp. the gain!

You can use 505 patches on the GFX-1 with a tweak or two here and there (e.g. the GFX-1 has a separate - and very useful - contour control on the EQ module) - you can find loads of these online - one particularly good site being Zoom 505 Central.

I really like the GFX-1 for its sound - unlike some processors it always sounds natural, warm, tubey - and on models like the Fender Tweed (US Blues) and Marshall, you get a wonderfully sensitive overdrive: provided you don't use more than about 15/30 gain, you can control the amount of dirt just with volume control and pick attack, just like the real thing. And it's built like a small purpule tank, which is no bad thing when playing live :wink:

ReplyQuote