Half Stack - Fender Deluxe

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Never thought about this but can I run a Marshall half stack cab from my Fender Deluxe? Can I keep the Fender speaker connected at the same time? Will there be a significant volume loss with connecting a certain way?

Any ideas if this what fatten up the sound I currently get from the Deluxe alone.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Never thought about this but can I run a Marshall half stack cab from my Fender Deluxe? Can I keep the Fender speaker connected at the same time? Will there be a significant volume loss with connecting a certain way?

Any ideas if this what fatten up the sound I currently get from the Deluxe alone.

You didn't say if it was the Hot Rod Deluxe or the 65 Deluxe Reverb. They're different beasts. You also didn't specify the load of the cab . . .

Looking at the manuals for each: the HRD will be happy with a total load of with 8 or 4 ohms. That means you can run the internal speaker plus an 8 ohm external, or a shorting plug in the internal speaker jack and a 4 ohm external speaker.

The Deluxe Reverb manual leaves the impression that it wants to see 8 ohms. Period. Since the speaker jacks are parallel that means an 8 ohm speaker plugged in to one jack, or two 16 ohm speakers plugged in to both jacks.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Da it's a Hot Rod deluxe. So does that mean I can only run this to 1 additional speaker or could it be connected to a 4 x 12 cab?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Da it's a Hot Rod deluxe. So does that mean I can only run this to 1 additional speaker or could it be connected to a 4 x 12 cab?

A speaker out doesn't really care how many speakers there are attached to it. What matters is the load it sees. If the 4x12 has a load rating of 8 ohms, you can run it along with the internal speaker just fine. If it has a load rating of 4 ohms, you'll need to put a dummy plug in the internal speaker jack, and run the cab by itself in the external speaker jack. If it has a load rating of less than 4 ohms or more than 8 ohms, I wouldn't use it with the HRD.

What model Marshall cab is it?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Moonrider thanks for the info. I almost knew this but needed soem reassurance. Not sure on the model it's one of the other band members.

I was thinking about doing this just to see what it sounds like before I go out and look for another cab.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris

Underneath the head on the left side in the back you will find the Speaker Out jacks. There are two of them. The internal 8 ohm speaker is plugged into the SO on the left. You can run an extension cab off the other as long as it is 8 or 16 ohms, the amp will operate as low as 4 ohms total. The two jacks are parallel.

But if you get a Marshall speaker cab, I would unplug the internal speaker completely and plug the extension cab into the SO on the left.

The problem is that you will still hear the internal speaker more than the extension cab. If the extension cab is 8 ohms total, then it is two 16 ohm speakers (very common for the Celestion speakers Marshall uses) in parallel. So about 20 watts will go to the internal 8 ohms speaker, the other 20 watts will go to the two 16 ohms speakers, they will get about 10 watts each. So the internal speaker will be louder and drown out the extension cab.

That said, try plugging the extension cab in the right Speaker Out to begin with and see if you like the sound. But if you decide to use the Marshall cab only, unplug the internal speaker and use the left Speaker Out.

I have been using my Avatar 2 X 12 with two Celestion Vintage 30s with my HRD, I unplugged the internal speaker and use the cab only, sounds much better to me.

That cab should help quite a bit, especially if it is a closed back cab, that is a huge part of the Marshall tone. Use your Guvnor pedal, you should be able to get real close to the sound you are after.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

When using a multiple speaker cab I like to disconnect the internal speaker as well for the reason Wes mentioned, the combo speaker is getting more of the the volume. My Peavey Classic 30 unfortunately has a hard wired speaker. I know it would not be hard to mod but I don't want to, so what I do is use my speaker cab from my Epiphone Valve Junior half stack. It has a single 12" 16 ohm speaker. It is closed backed, the Classic 30 is open and together they sound allright. (The amp handles 8 - 16 ohm and the internal speaker is 16 ohm so the 16 ohm extension in parallel = 8 ohm total .... perfect!) Well anyways, thats what I do. :roll:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok so I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm looking at a head that is interesting(mainly because it's cheap and I need other things).

But the cab I'm looking at is a Peavey Windsor 412. It's rated at 16 ohms and my Hot Rod is 8 will there be a problem connecting this to the Hot Rod?

ReplyQuote